Horn Wiring Confusion

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

keytouch
80-90 Mem No: 4484

Horn Wiring Confusion

Post by keytouch »

When I got my van, many years ago, the horn operated off a 'temporary switch' on the dash (which breaks into the earth wire attached to the horn).
It is still on this temporary switch. However, I want to move it back to the steering wheel. This is where the confusion starts, having never seen an original working horn set up, I am not quite sure how it goes. I understand that usually a negative goes from the horn up through the bottom of the steering column where the wire then clips onto the upper part of the steering column, which then somehow goes to the horn push and the horn ring is involved.

My setup has the wire clipping to the column, but I cannot find the other end of the wire.
The horn ring appears to have nothing to rub against, or at least I don't know what it is meant to rub against.

The actual horn press has two metal tangs but nothing is attached to anything

with a single bare wire coming up from the horn ring.

All semi simple so far.

However, my van also seems to have a completely different system which also appears to be original.
Attached to the horn is a positive and negative which both go together into sleeving which in turn goes into the sleeving that the headlight wiring goes into. This travels across the front of the cab then into the body to appear behind the fuseboard. The negative wire then travels across the dashboard and up into a wiring connector that plugs into the steering column- its the brown (with blue) wire. I have tested this and earthing it does sound the horn.

However the lug that this should connect to is missing

This next photo shows the square-ish hole at the bottom that the lug would appear if it was there

Does anyone know if there was more than one system used by VW for the horn? Or has someone elaborately made up a new wiring harness for the van at some point in its life?

Does anyone have any photos of how things are connected at the horn ring etc?

All help greatly appreciated.
Jonathan

A Camper called Wanda
1983 A reg Bilbo Marlfield conversion, 1900 Diesel 1Y engine

paperhouselad
80-90 Mem No: 10768

Re: Horn Wiring Confusion

Post by paperhouselad »

Hi ours works off a remote as well ,have tried a few times to fix it but to no avail, can't see why it won't work, good luck

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

The horn works by the steering column shaft being earthed to the vehicle body via the brown earth links across the steering couplings, the steering wheel being bolted to the shaft is earthed, the horn push contacts are connected via link wires to an earth terminal on the steering wheel and to the slip ring on the steering wheel which should rub on the wiper contact on the indicator switch which connects the brown/blue wire to the horn.

1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

keytouch
80-90 Mem No: 4484

Post by keytouch »

Ooh thank you for that

So I am missing this bit which rubs on the horn ring and then goes down into the connector to connect to the brown/blue wire

And I am also missing a wire within the steering wheel, that should be fixable

Just need to try and locate the missing copper thing, sods law says I'll have to get a whole new indicator stalk section
Jonathan

A Camper called Wanda
1983 A reg Bilbo Marlfield conversion, 1900 Diesel 1Y engine