t 25 respray

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

PETAL4

t 25 respray

Post by PETAL4 »

Hello all,

We live in the west Midlands-Hereford- and would like to give our lovely( but rustier by the day)T25 campervan a new coat of paint.
We want a thorough job that will look good and last.

Can anybody recommend a reliable workshop?

What is a reasonable price for a thorough respray? Is it best for us to get the new window seals, etc, ourselves?

Looking forward to your replies!

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Re: t 25 respray

Post by ghost123uk »

PETAL4 wrote:Hello all,

Hello back :)

PETAL4 wrote:would like to give our lovely (but rustier by the day) T25 campervan a new coat of paint. We want a thorough job that will look good and last

Not possible. If it has rust anywhere on it a new paint job will only last a few months (or less) before the rust re-appears :(
If you want it to last you HAVE to get all the rust removed and any panels that require replacing replaced.
Without seeing how bad the van is no-one will be along to give you an estimate. Can you post up some close up shots of the worst bits ?

I had mine done a year ago. It was not too bad really, just the usual, rear corner seams, a bit of rust around one side window, a new panel around the filler cap, all doors, glass and trim off, re-spray, cost me £3,200 (and took 2 years, but that is another story :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: )

PETAL4 wrote:Can anybody recommend a reliable workshop?

Be careful here. I got stung by an unreliable guy. His work was pretty OK, but his costings and time scale was WAYYYYYY out :twisted: :twisted: It seems there are many body shops out there in a similar mould :? If going down this route get WRITTEN estimates of cost, time and what is to be done !!!!

I can however recommend a member on here who does this as his main business. His details are here = link = http://forum.club8090.co.uk/memberlist. ... le&u=12147" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; He has done VERY satisfactory work for me. I wish I had known him when our "main" van went in for this type of work (over 3 years ago now). He is not too far from you and anyway, it is worth travelling to a good, reliable guy.

PETAL4 wrote:What is a reasonable price for a thorough respray?

A simple blow over with no gaurantee around £700. A proper repair and re-spray = no one will say without a proper examination of your van, and if anyone does quote without looking, RUN AWAY !!!

PETAL4 wrote: Is it best for us to get the new window seals, etc, ourselves?

Yes because it will save you money on the other guy finding them. BUT, make sure you research on here as there are good seals and bad. Plenty of info here about it. Also, ask the guy who is going to do it what makes he prefers.

P.S. = You might like to check this thread out = http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=18751" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and this on the same subject in our "wiki" knowledge base = http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Bo ... r_painting" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

voodoopenguin
80-90 Mem No: 11131

Post by voodoopenguin »

Hello from me as well.

Nothing to add as ghost has given an excellent answer.

Paul
1984 Devon Moonraker with Gasure LPG - Now sold :(

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

As said ,the coats of paint at the end are the gloss on the work done,I can send you plenty of links to vans that on the whole look nice.then watch what's under it all , so best you nip out and take some general picks of the van then detail ones of the bits that you personally feel are iffy
mm

john east
80-90 Mem No: 12710

Post by john east »

Just got my van resprayed and it cost £4k, but as others have said it all depends on how bad it was to begin with. I think the garage I used did a good job (Morris Young Motors, Scunthorpe), only time will tell, but as a general tip I would tell whoever you use that you will pop in from time to time to photograph progress on the job. This should hopefully keep them on their toes, and discourage them taking any shortcuts.

mrhutch
80-90 Mem No: 2698

Post by mrhutch »

Hereford you say?? :lol:

If you want a fairly experienced opinion on what may need doing give me a shout..

(and don't tell anyone how great Herefordshire is.. it's our secret ok?)
1981 Vanagon Westy Burning oil as fuel...  

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Ah welcome Mr east, near to us ,picks before during and after maybe :ok
mm

john east

Post by john east »

Metalmick, pix as requested.

Before:
After:

Couldn't decide on a colour so kept her white. Maybe I'll put some vinyl transfers on, but can't decide on this either.

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

aye,its very white :wink:
mm

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

john east wrote: Maybe I'll put some vinyl transfers on, but can't decide on this either.

I am in the same boat here. I would like a bit of colour on our white tin-top, but like you, cannot decide what.

Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Post by AdrianC »

mrhutch wrote:(and don't tell anyone how great Herefordshire is.. it's our secret ok?)
<taps side of nose...>
'course, those of us who avoid all the noise and bustle of the big city itself...

Anyway, I don't know offhand who he uses, but drop my mate Pete a shout - he's got a very good body and paint guy, who's done some top-notch work on his restoration. http://www.sparrowautomotive.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

john east

Post by john east »

Ghost123uk, if you decide to put some transfers on please post pictures, it might jog me into doing the same. There are hundreds of good designs on eBay and prices are very attractive, but I'm worried about quality of cheap stickers, and how long will they last? Looking at campers and caravans as manufactured with various patterns and logos it often looks good, as if they were painted on (perhaps they are?). On the other hand, looking at some vans with cheap d.i.y. stickers they often look a bit amateurish with dull/mat, wonky, bubbled, stickers raised above the paintwork. There, I've just talked myself out of it again.

what2do
80-90 Mem No: 11974

Post by what2do »

AdrianC wrote:
mrhutch wrote:(and don't tell anyone how great Herefordshire is.. it's our secret ok?)
<taps side of nose...>
'course, those of us who avoid all the noise and bustle of the big city itself...

Anyway, I don't know offhand who he uses, but drop my mate Pete a shout - he's got a very good body and paint guy, who's done some top-notch work on his restoration. http://www.sparrowautomotive.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[/quote

Do you consider yourself qualified to say who does and who does not have a good body??? :D
Why would the glass be anything other than half full?

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Post by AdrianC »

what2d wrote:Do you consider yourself qualified to say who does and who does not have a good body??? :D
<grin> Well, if you're going to view it that way round, then...
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;