any plumbers out there??

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

scottbott
80-90 Mem No: 6085

any plumbers out there??

Post by scottbott »

I just want to pick someone brains as we have a problem with a hot water tap in our bath
Nil carborundum illegitimi

fullsunian
80-90 Mem No: 5092

Re: any plumbers out there??

Post by fullsunian »

Normally loads at shows, try a T4 forum :wink:
Mmm what's that strange smell from my exhaust...

what2do
80-90 Mem No: 11974

Post by what2do »

Fire away, what's your problem?

Mitch.
Why would the glass be anything other than half full?

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

scottbott

Post by scottbott »

thanks,we recently had our down stairs toilet redone,new toilet,sink,taps vanity unit and heated towel rail,shortly afterwards the hot water tap upstairs in the bath has gone to a trickle,I could pee quicker,every other hot tap is ok,any ideas?

what2do

Post by what2do »

This is going to be one of those things that isn't likely to be attributable to anything in particular, just coincidence that you've had you're plumbing altered recently. Is it a mixer tap or solo? Does it have a plastic diffuser in the end? You'll need to get down on your knees to look up the 'spout' to verify this. It's possible that the flow is being restricted by some dislodged lime scale.

What about the hot basin tap, is that ok?

Let me know your findings, Mitch.

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

I moved into a house that had a tap like that - it turned out to be an airlock which I solved by sticking a hose from the mains onto the tap and blasting it back up. Just a possibility.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

meggles

Post by meggles »

My contribution to possibilities: We recently did some plumbing (amateur DIY) and I put an isolator valve in the system. Very slow water flow followed. Quite a while later after much searching and head scratching I discovered the isolator valve was only partially open. doh! :oops:

New Kentish Campers
80-90 Mem No: 8994

Post by New Kentish Campers »

Oldiebut goodie wrote:I moved into a house that had a tap like that - it turned out to be an airlock which I solved by sticking a hose from the mains onto the tap and blasting it back up. Just a possibility.

Agreed, most likely the problem, I've done this myself from replacing a HW tap. If your plumber turned the supply off to replace the tap, it's likely air became trapped in the pipe. By attaching a length of pipe from a mains cold water supply and the other end onto your bad tap's outlet, just open the duff tap and then turn the cold on for a minute or so. That will force the air out. Remember the incoming mains will likely be a good 3/4 bar pressure + so do it gently at first and not full blast. Have a few old towels to hand as you will likely get a splash of water here and there. :oops:
And I'm assuming you dont have a sealed system as I'm talking of a conventional system where your hot water is fed via a cold water storage tank in the loft. If you have a sealed system, then I dont know if this idea might work so best check with your plumber.

garry247
80-90 Mem No: 7081

Post by garry247 »

1. Isolator valve not fully open
2. Isolator some valves will restrict flow and some will not (Full Bore Isolating Valve)
3. Air in the system

Check with your plumber, or if you can trace the hot water pipe to your downstairs hot tap and see if plumber has put a valve in there.

if it is the valve and its fully open, swap it out for a Full Bore Isolating Valve.

note. If you have a combi i would not push water from cold into the hot tap.

G
1983 1.9DG Petrol (4 Speed) T25 Leisuredrive High Top

scottbott

Post by scottbott »

thanks for the replies,will have a go at it this weekend,also just had the cold water pipes banging,opened up the cold tap and it stopped,never done that before

dumbo
80-90 Mem No: 10625

Post by dumbo »

air in system right here goes go the new cold tap and hold your hand palm under the tap and slowly turn it on till on full for ?40second to a minute then try if not keep trying couple more goes :ok
simon
1986 DG WBX AUTOHOMES kamper

what2do

Post by what2do »

dumbo wrote:air in system right here goes go the new cold tap and hold your hand palm under the tap and slowly turn it on till on full for ?40second to a minute then try if not keep trying couple more goes :ok
simon

This method won't work with WRAS approved taps because they're fitted with non return valves. However,there's tonnes of taps for sale in the DIY chains which don't comply with water regs, so it's worth a bash as it'll not do any harm.

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.