Rear Indicator RHS and Starting

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Jammyjuju
80-90 Mem No: 13981

Rear Indicator RHS and Starting

Post by Jammyjuju »

This may all be coincidence, I have a 1.6td Autosleeper. for sometime now on the zig unit when you press the battery level button both Green and Red light illuminate but everything seems to be ok. My rear right hand light cluster, break light, indicator reverse etc stopped working or the lamps were very dim, I reconnected the earth cables found in the engine bay behind the air filter and everything seemed to be ok, (red and green light still on zig though). throughout my checking of cables I cleaned up several more earths behind the fuse panel on the two clusters. When I went to start the van it wouldnt start and the relay to the glo plugs was whining everytime i turned the key, I replaced the fuse as it had a spit in it (only had a 30amp replacement to hand) and replaced the relay. I now have the battery warning light on and the van still wont start unless I let it build up its own heat and keep the key turned on for about 30 seconds with the starter eventually giving it enough to get it started when its cold. I have checked when the engine running I am getting a good charging voltage on both my main battery and my leisure battery. When I drove the van every now again the indicators when going right would stop (green light on but not flashing) then the left hand side started doing the rapid flash (haven't checked the bulbs yet) Is this all coincidence or is there a connection to all it all? (dodgie connection) Any help would be appreciated.
T25 1988 1.6TD Auto sleeper

Jammyjuju

Re: Rear Indicator RHS and Starting

Post by Jammyjuju »

I have sort of fixed the indicators on the left side the front indicator had serious corrosion on the terminal, cleaned it up and it works fine, I still get some indicator problems on right turn sometimes it works other times the green light comes on but no blinking. I found the relay for the zig unit behind the driver seat it had come out of the case and looked a bit old so may worth replacement, could this be causing the battery light to stay on? and the red and green light to be on the zig when you press the test button.Still cant get the van to start with preheat from glo plugs checked all cables must be Glo plugs? all cables seem ok now new relay fitted.

Jammyjuju

Post by Jammyjuju »

Cold starting now sorted it was a bad low temp heat switch. Replaced and sorted. Battery light sorted was a loose terminal on the alternater. Two things to sort right hand indicator stops working when you put the brakes on and rear lights still a bit dim on the right side rear so must be a bad earth?. And the red light on the zig unit replacement relay to be fitted see if that works.

Jammyjuju

Post by Jammyjuju »

Just checked the zig unit ref light no longer comes on must have fixed with the alternator fix

marlinowner
80-90 Mem No: 13646

Post by marlinowner »

Yes bad earth on the rear light, the indicator is earthing through the brake light bulbs to the earth on the other side. Putting the brake lights on stops that happening.
1993 SA VW T25/T3 2.5i Microbus/homebrew camper
1981/1968 Marlin Kitcar TR6 Engine

Jammyjuju

Post by Jammyjuju »

Thanks for the info. Ill just keep cleaning them all up. ta