Are heat exchangers necessary?

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Waynerrr
80-90 Mem No: 0

Are heat exchangers necessary?

Post by Waynerrr »

I've got a 2.0l air cooled motor with two ruined heat exchangers. As I understand it, their purpose is to transfer heat from the engine to the cab but also to cool the engine in the process. Can they be removed completely?
1981 2.0L air-cooled Transporter conversion

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Re: Are heat exchangers necessary?

Post by CovKid »

In a word, yes. They can be removed. Obviously you'll still need an exhaust pipe for each. Oh, and a wooly hat, scarf and window scraper in winter. If you have a Propex that would mitigate the winter chill significantly but otherwise you could run into probs with windscreen icing up constantly on the move.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

i remember those days with the fondness that comes with the passing of time :lol:
mm

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

The voices of experience. :D

To be fair, I do sympathise. 2.0l heat exchangers are NOT cheap. I had the same engine in a DOKA and almost choked at the price of exchangers even back then (mid-90s). In the end I threw the engine out and plonked in a bored-up bug engine simply because parts were cheaper for type 1 engines. You can't do that in a straight T25 - no head clearance for fan housing. If it were me I'd use 'J' pipes or get some made up somehow and hunt for a Propex before winter.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

was going to add that rest my pipes were in verygood order and i made some,
not rocket science, just have to be aware of leaky exhausts is all
oh and how much are new nowadays
mm

BOXY
80-90 Mem No: 8826

Post by BOXY »

The price is just under £200 per side, and another £50-60 per side for the pods and then cables etc. etc. Luckily my exchangers are ok, and I've replaced the rest of the metal risers with silicone ducting (also not cheap) so I can +60' out of the windscreen vents in the winter.
2ltr Aircooled CU with twin Solex's & originally a 009 dizzie, but now back to standard.

Tobyt25

Post by Tobyt25 »

I survived the winter without them, I've not got any on my bus. I decided the van was not used enough in the winter to justify the cost. We just put our coats on to get into the bus and not just as we get out.

Waynerrr

Post by Waynerrr »

Thanks. The main reason for not wanting to replace them is the cost but surely fitting an alternative exhaust is just as expensive? I'm not likely to use the van in the winter but wet people in the cabin soon steams up the windows.
1981 2.0L air-cooled Transporter conversion

Tobyt25

Post by Tobyt25 »

The exhaust is separate to the exchangers. I used a window vac to suck any condensation off the windows. Kept them clean and dry for whole journey. Image

jason k
80-90 Mem No: 1959

Post by jason k »

So your hovering your window with that whilst driving? :shock:

Fix the system! Heat exchangers do come up for decent money and they give off a lovely heat
98 Westfalia James Cook

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

....and the passenger chewing hot chillies and breathing on the windscreen. :rofl