Timing belt snapped

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Mickey dora
80-90 Mem No: 0

Timing belt snapped

Post by Mickey dora »

Thought I would share some knowledge that I have accumulated in having the same van a 1987 T25 1.6td lhd jx reimo for ten years after taking loads off here so here goes , in layman's terms
First breakdown was a blown head gasket which started from a faulty expansion tank cap if you can take it off and blow it like a trumpet its broke didn't no this at time and found that going up hills or driving more than 15 miles in one go would cause engine temp light to come on this would go up and down with the speedo and against the wind it was worse also would need water often and when you check forums it leads to air in system or this or that . found I need to change this once a year and I carry a spare also can be bought off ebay also where the electrical connection goes on sensor make sure this is good and sensor is in tight as mine wasn't allowing me to give it a extra two turns.
Fuel tank as collapsed outside house with full tank of diesel in this can be seen happening on the welded seems but when the weathers fine you still wanna go camping check your seems.
Starter motor replaced due to slipping found out later sticky bendix wd40 change of seasons and bit of silicon grease stops this.
Injector pipe developed a hole squirting diesel on engine steel weld glue and denso tape stemmed it till part came bought from France as they only sell the set in this country for £100 things usually break when funds are low.www.mecatechnic.com 33 euros .
Drive shaft as fallen off after driving 520 miles heard a low sounding boom then another then coasted into layby luckily two of the bolts were not vw one,s they were the ones that snapped making others shear off roadside mech reckoned new driveshaft garage put back on for price of bolts and time £50 check once a year or before long journey make sure they are tight handbook says check for tightness every 12000 miles things you learn after it happens lol.
Gearstick as come off in my hand sheared off at linkage brickwerks.co.uk only place to sell them no warning signs from this one but I do go underneath and apply denso paste on the linkage just to stop rusting as it cost me £200
Bosch fuel pump leaking from top of throttle arm once warm no leak left this one for awhile befor summoning up courage to totally dismantle and replace seals cant find link its off youtube a French dude rebuilds it .new pump £700 £250 recon £15.99 new seals pack ebay saved a fortune on this one.
Timing belt snapped two weeks ago so following vincewalden.com how to time your engine at moment even though this is a interference engine I was lucky snapped top of street coasted outside to house. tdc is on clutch plate on this engine after looking for ages on flywheel and flywheel doesn.t turn full 360 about 270 but crankshaft pulley does turn 2 full revolutions so both sets of pistons are not jamming thought I would have to take head off may still have to but if I can avoid.This timing belt has done 175000 miles think it had contamination from leaking pump.
Replaced back wheel arches due to rust didn't weld on screwed {stainless}on with tiger seal then good layer of under seal job done passes the mot.
Resprayed it for £35 off ebay 7 500ml cans .saved a fortune . I might not win any competitions at a van fest never been to one in fact I spend my spare time camping and using her not tinkering and polishing (only my chrome hubs) I'm from the school if it aint broke don't fix it I,ve had other things break inside fan switch headlight switch easy ones but will keep this mechanical the van has done 283000 miles 183000 of my own and would not sell her for any price they are great and well worth all the emotions that come with them I will say though the longer I have had it the more I would rather do the work myself on it no matter how big as you could carry on spending on these continuously at a garage. my passenger side window handle as sheared off completely after slipping for maybe 4 years but I will get round to it as long has she starts and drives well and gets me to the beach that's the main thing hope this helps someone.
Bought this van for £3000 off ebay in 2004

mark
80-90 Mem No: 9768

Re: Timing belt snapped

Post by mark »

175000 miles on a cam-belt :shock:

mark
1988 1.9 dg Caravel.
https://i.imgur.com/oIt3VLk.jpg

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Mickey dora wrote:I'm from the school if it aint broke don't fix it
^^^^^^ you can see the result of that method of maintenance, 175 thou on a cambelt!!!
Let me know what roads you are on so that I can stay well clear. I presume that the brakes haven't been touched in 10 years also.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

ermie571
80-90 Mem No: 2129

Post by ermie571 »

Hey guys, the chap has only just joined, and his first post is to give something back!

More than some who join, take the advice and are never heard from again....don't even grant the courtesy of an update :-(

How about being a little more gentle?? suggesting the routine maintenance times? If I was a new 1.6d owner from your posts I wouldn't know if it was good or bad.....

:rofl

Now - you in one room and you in the other until you can speak nicely to the new boy! And no sulking either!!!

:rofl

:ok

Em
xx
2.1 DJ 1990 Caravelle (died and gone to heaven)
2.0 AGG (1997 ish) 1984 transporter LPG

Oldiebut goodie

After reading this forum for ten years I think that he knows what the forum is like by now!
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

mark

Post by mark »

I thought I/we went easy on him with no mention of the 4 yr slippy window that resulted in a sheared off winder.
if its got liquid in it check it weekly, if its made of rubber check it weekly, if its a belt for timing the time to change is every 50 to 60 thousand or 5 yrs which ever is the sooner.........about time to change the water pump me thinks.

can I come out now :rofl

mark
1988 1.9 dg Caravel.

Oldiebut goodie

I fear we must stay in the naughty corner for a while yet. :cry:
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

Mickey dora

Post by Mickey dora »

Oldiebut goodie wrote:
Mickey dora wrote:I'm from the school if it aint broke don't fix it
^^^^^^ you can see the result of that method of maintenance, 175 thou on a cambelt!!! is this a record I believe I would have got more if it hadn't been for the leaky pump!
Let me know what roads you are on so that I can stay well clear. I presume that the brakes haven't been touched in 10 years also.
pmsl No brakes fine Ive had new rear drums brake pipes new front disc's new hand brake cable in this time also when your disc's warp it makes your steering wheel wobble a bit but you get used to that and that only happens braking hard downhill pads changed yearly new coil springs front and back still drivable without just a bit bouncy on the suspension till I got it fixed obviously not at same time I don't empty my wallet every time something breaks if it's driveable and safe I'll still go to the beach and wait till I can afford it I've always used it for it's purpose fun!
Driver's side upper ball joint as needed changing on last 3 MOTs they reckon it's because all the weight on that side from cupboards etc oh and I haven't had a tail pipe on exhaust for last 4 yrs either remember I'm only needing to adhere to VOSA guidelines not righteous purists :lol: Hand brake cable snapped on me when I shut the sliding door but I always leave her in gear when I park it's an old vehicle this can be avoided if they go past the 4 clicks it needs looking at also sliding door as come clean off it's runners before and landed on floor I'm just passing this on to the people who have just bought one to not panic when things go wrong or break which they will and to go and rush to a garage or buy parts :lol:
Last edited by Mickey dora on 06 Aug 2014, 21:35, edited 1 time in total.

Mickey dora

Post by Mickey dora »

mark richards wrote:I thought I/we went easy on him with no mention of the 4 yr slippy window that resulted in a sheared off winder.
if its got liquid in it check it weekly, if its made of rubber check it weekly, if its a belt for timing the time to change is every 50 to 60 thousand or 5 yrs which ever is the sooner.........about time to change the water pump me thinks.

can I come out now :rofl

mark
I check my oil, water, tyres. weekly after having this for 10yrs just by driving it for 15mins you can feel or sense something isn't right and check where you have parked it for any leaks that's common sense not maintenance and if you've driven for a couple of hundred miles or even a short journey on a hot day in these vans you'd know that the main windows do nothing to keep you cool only passengers in back the small flip out windows are the bee's knee's all vehicle's should have them anyway that's why it's been left i'll get round to it. A 1991 autosleeper 5 speed 2.1dj your on the wrong forum dude! :lol:
And could I ask a question to you fellas
With my camshaft at number one piston pump at correct position flywheel at tdc there are no markings on harmonic balancer pully don't quote me on that it's the wheel above crankshaft with rubber grooves at what position does this go ? as vince waldon does not mention this ? thank you for letting me into the fold :D

mark

Post by mark »

hey mickey dude............wow...........I find that with my window wound down I can travel 200 miles with a quite pleasant wind blowing through my hair and for the full hairdryer treatment I get my mrs to open the other one to, also we have been known to close both windows and push the heater lever from the far right all the way across to the far left and let the cold air blow up our shorts..........we save this for French heat waves and the like, but we did enjoy this on the m5 last Friday but keep it quite. a strange thing also, if I want to listen to the engine while travelling I have to lower said window...........enjoy your van mickey dude :wink:

mark
1988 1.9 dg Caravel.

Oldiebut goodie

Mickey dora wrote: And could I ask a question to you fellas
With my camshaft at number one piston pump at correct position flywheel at tdc there are no markings on harmonic balancer pully don't quote me on that it's the wheel above crankshaft with rubber grooves at what position does this go ? as vince waldon does not mention this ? thank you for letting me into the fold :D

Don't worry about it, there will be no other marks, just the V notch on the clutch cover. If you haven't the timing tools (pin for pump, bar for camshaft and dial gauge) leave it in peace. Why do you want to mess with the pump timing?
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

Mickey dora

Post by Mickey dora »

mark richards wrote:hey mickey dude............wow...........I find that with my window wound down I can travel 200 miles with a quite pleasant wind blowing through my hair and for the full hairdryer treatment I get my mrs to open the other one to, also we have been known to close both windows and push the heater lever from the far right all the way across to the far left and let the cold air blow up our shorts..........we save this for French heat waves and the like, but we did enjoy this on the m5 last Friday but keep it quite. a strange thing also, if I want to listen to the engine while travelling I have to lower said window...........enjoy your van mickey dude :wink:

mark
I'm not a fan of driving a few hundred miles with the heater on cold I find the engine gets to hot for my liking

Mickey dora

Post by Mickey dora »

Oldiebut goodie wrote:
Mickey dora wrote: And could I ask a question to you fellas

Don't worry about it, there will be no other marks, just the V notch on the clutch cover. If you haven't the timing tools (pin for pump, bar for camshaft and dial gauge) leave it in peace. Why do you want to mess with the pump timing?
My belt snapped :lol: Ive got the tools Im just wondering as some forums are explaining this is prevalent to the harmonics and balancing of the rods going up and down thanks though parts came today so will put new belt, tensioner and water pump, and valve cover gasket on tomorrow :ok don't want to put all on and make a silly mistake by not lining that up will go ahead and do

mark

Post by mark »

enough of the jollities............... have you missed summat on the waldon list?...... if you have start again it will come good......and your deffo nowts bent

mark
1988 1.9 dg Caravel.

Oldiebut goodie

Mickey dora wrote: My belt snapped :lol: Ive got the tools Im just wondering as some forums are explaining this is prevalent to the harmonics and balancing of the rods going up and down thanks though parts came today so will put new belt, tensioner and water pump, and valve cover gasket on tomorrow :ok don't want to put all on and make a silly mistake by not lining that up will go ahead and do

I thought the snapped belt was in the past as it was buried in the list of calamities.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶