extra oil pump

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

dovells

extra oil pump

Post by dovells »

Hi,
Having a problem with the extra oil pump fitted to my 91 T25 turbo diesel water cooled. It comes on intermittently even when the van has not been used for a few days. As it is only designed to cool the oil after the engine has been turned off, does it really need to be there? If it should be replaced, is it a faulty pump or a faulty thermostat somewhere else?
Hope someone can help. Think this is what ruined my battery over the winter!!
J

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Re: extra oil pump

Post by ghost123uk »

I've never heard of this extra pump, but I know little of Diesels. However, it has got to be a thermostat issue as that is what will be supplying power to the pump. If the stat says "stay off" then, as far as I can guess, there is unlikely to be any other source of 12V able to reach the pump.
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

sciroccotune
80-90 Mem No: 7521

Post by sciroccotune »

Could it be the extra water pump? I believe that the temp sender for these can cause issues with going on and off

dovells

Post by dovells »

sciroccotune wrote:Could it be the extra water pump? I believe that the temp sender for these can cause issues with going on and off
Thanks for the info. You could be right. The justkampers manual calls it an oil pump but they have a few other mistakes so will check. Hopefully a new thermo will be less than a new pump.
J