Alternative to rubber mats for cab steps

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

thecyrusvirus
80-90 Mem No: 13398

Alternative to rubber mats for cab steps

Post by thecyrusvirus »

Whilst waiting for my new angle grinder to turn up I have been looking at alternatives for the rubber mats on the cab door step.

I don't want holes in the new steps to fit the OEM mats so... I was thinking about using something like the non-slip flowcoat that we are using on our boat deck. It is tough and UV stable but I am not sure how well it will go over the rustoleum paint that the wagon is painted with.

http://www.ecfibreglasssupplies.co.uk/p ... -9005.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Has anyone got experience of using styrene based products over rustoleum? I know it shouldn't be used over cellulose as the styrene in the resin breaks down and wrinkles the cellulose.

Here is a link to the msds for the rustoleum, hopefully someone with more chemistry knowledge than me can advise?

http://www.rawlinspaints.co.uk/pdf/combicolour_msds.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or perhaps there is a better solution that can be applied neatly without holes OR maybe I am just being mad by trying to avoid using the OEM mats...opinions welcome!
1987 1.9DG Petrol High top - Cardiff, Wales

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Re: Alternative to rubber mats for cab steps

Post by ghost123uk »

I stand to be corrected here, but I think the cab steps may need the holes for drainage. Our (recently sold) Hi-Top had solid step plates and when it rained the used to get a puddle of water in them. Our Ti-Top has the holes and doesn't do this. As I say, I could be wrong though but worth checking.
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

thecyrusvirus

Post by thecyrusvirus »

From looking at the restoration posts that mm puts up I was hoping I could put a slight fall on the new step to direct any water outside.

Do you think that could work?

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

Oooo, I'm no expert in this field. Hopefully MM will notice this thread and comment :)
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

thecyrusvirus

Post by thecyrusvirus »

More of an expert than me...I have owned my T25 for a grand total of 7 days!

Thanks for taking the time to reply, like I said, any help is greatly appreciated

shepster
80-90 Mem No: 1342

Post by shepster »

Why not just cut the lugs off the bottom of standard step mats and silicon them on, unless you fancy something different of course.
2.1 DJ running on carb and LPG.

thecyrusvirus

Post by thecyrusvirus »

I just figured they will trap moisture under the mats and slowly start the rot process all over again plus I have about 5 litres of non-slip flowcoat leftover from working on the boat. The existing mats are beyond saving so just trying to penny pinch where I can as I have lots of panels to buy :shock:

Woodyyellow
80-90 Mem No: 11769

Post by Woodyyellow »

Whilst we wait for the guru himself to reply, this link is taken from his Mallyvagon thread,
http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... &start=195" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Half way down he uses something (?) to paint the step. I'm sure mm will be along soon to explain all.
:ok
1987 1.9 WBX DG Hi-Top. Soon to be Subaru ej20

I'm an old guy but I still learn new stuff!

discipleofsketch
80-90 Mem No: 11538

Post by discipleofsketch »

I've been wondering about this too, but will be drilling holes regardless as I usually have my van parked at the side of the road on a camber, so even with a slope on the step it will pool water on one side, the step would have to be at a steep angle to drain water out the side.

But thanks for this thread - I didn't realise the mats had lugs underneath, as i've never owned any :)
Former owner of 1983 DG panel van and 1983 Devon moonraker pop-top, 1.9 tdi (1z) conversion

BOXY
80-90 Mem No: 8826

Post by BOXY »

I cut the lugs off & silicon'd my mats in place a couple of years ago because my van had had new steps welded in without holes. After 12 months the rust started staining the paint around the steps so I pull the mats off & binned them. My steps have now just got a coat of rustoleum and stone chip paint.
2ltr Aircooled CU with twin Solex's & originally a 009 dizzie, but now back to standard.

thecyrusvirus

Post by thecyrusvirus »

HI Boxy

Is the step slippery when wet?

Cheers
Cyrus

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

Some bodger welder fitted a plate over the whole step when I asked for a small hole to be patched
Never had any puddles but it looks awful and the door has never shut properly since

If only every town had a meal micky
Last edited by itchyfeet on 01 May 2014, 20:17, edited 1 time in total.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

thecyrusvirus

Post by thecyrusvirus »

Itchyfeet it seems there are many more bodger welders than good ones. I guess the extra height of the step fouls on the door bottom?

I will have to check that as we rebuild the steps as I don't want to end up with a nicely welded step but a door that wont close :D

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

thecyrusvirus wrote:Itchyfeet it seems there are many more bodger welders than good ones. I guess the extra height of the step fouls on the door bottom?

I will have to check that as we rebuild the steps as I don't want to end up with a nicely welded step but a door that wont close :D

The bodger welded the plate so it sticks out and hits the door seal
I have ground it back but it really needs removing but how I don't know how

It still does not shut properly so you may be right about the extra height
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

thecyrusvirus

Post by thecyrusvirus »

Before we let loose with the welder I am going to read every single resto thread on here to try and avoid making bodges...however, I am sure we will still make a few.

Thanks for all the input guys