hmmm plasti dip or not??

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Re: hmmm plasti dip or not??

Post by kevtherev »

Quite right MM. :D
My point was, if you encased a piece of dry crusty rusted steel in a plastic coat it would simply stop rusting.
If the van could be dipped in molten plastic then it would stop rusting.

I would suggest this is impossible, there are to many areas that could be impermiable to the molten plastic, and thus letting oxygen in to resume the oxidation ..so any claims of it never rusting again is physically not possible
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

browneyes1311
80-90 Mem No: 2714

Post by browneyes1311 »

My prep is a complet rub downtreat of any remaing rust spots bearing in mind i did a whole lot of welding last year. Then spray with vatcan paying particular attentio to seams.

I have to admit having researched it more Im coming to conclusion that as its sprayed on it wil be as tight a bond as paint, and as Kevth rev says if theres no oxygen then oxidisation ie rust wont occur.

Now if it was a wrap Id be thinking differently

Im still pondering as I have conflicting thoughts from people on here all of whose opinion I respect.
1983 air cooled T25 high top.(hopefully someone will tell me what conversion) name Myrtle de turtle

browneyes1311

Post by browneyes1311 »

Also what occur to me is that often rust starts from the inside out on our vans simply because the activities we do in them create condensation. No norty thought s boys. Im talking sleeping you exhale a pint of water a night each. cooking, heating etc
1983 air cooled T25 high top.(hopefully someone will tell me what conversion) name Myrtle de turtle

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

Lets be honest even ghosts bare metal restore and professional paint is begining to rust already
its not going to be a perfect job so some rust will come back, its almost impossible to stop it unless you have a very origional mint van
so you will need to keepon top of rust every year like most of us have to
to do that you need a finish you can rework and this doesnt sound like the right thing

dont kid yourself that a coat of vactan will stop rust
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

kevtherev wrote:Quite right MM. :D
My point was, if you encased a piece of dry crusty rusted steel in a plastic coat it would simply stop rusting.
If the van could be dipped in molten plastic then it would stop rusting.

I would suggest this is impossible, there are to many areas that could be impermiable to the molten plastic, and thus letting oxygen in to resume the oxidation ..so any claims of it never rusting again is physically not possible

I agree its almost impossible because there will will almost certainly be some air with moisture in the gaps between the rust flakes that gets trapped, then it rusts some more expands, cracks paint and then more air and water can get in
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

Jim San
80-90 Mem No: 13133

Post by Jim San »

I think its been covered really, metal cars rusts sooner or later regardless of what coating they have.

Plastic coating or paint coating its susceptible to the environment.

Removing the stuff isnt easy, it takes hours. A chap did his Caddy (he was the guy who put it on and did it as an extension to his business) He did it in the name of research. It was really difficult but the result was the original paint was as it was when the plastic went on.

A chap I know in Telford does it, the vans that came to the meet with different bits done (mirrors/grills etc) looked excellent, a nice flat even surface that looked like paint.
Touching up chips/scratches is very simple, far more so than paint - apparently.

I dont know how durable it is but at 350 does it matter? I it lasts 2 or 3 years, just have it done again :) you could even have a colour change if you desired. A decent quality respray would be 6 or 7 times that.
1991 (LHD) Syncro kombi 1.9MTDi 1Z (Landy fuel pump) 215/70/16
Life's to short to drink s@@t beer.
'Roads? We don't need roads where we're going'

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

i think its good that we explore this foolishness, i have yet to see a linky to them or those that do it, ??
also does it rub down nicely to respray with paint at a later date,
when you replace a panel how does the heat from welding effect it,
how do you blend in a repair etc
just some thoughts
mm

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

Jim San wrote: at 350 does it matter? I it lasts 2 or 3 years, just have it done again

Its not £350 because there is also £350 of prep, next time that could be a whole lot more if the old stuff has to come off.

a professional paint job most of the cost is the prep so like vinly wrap you may regret putting it on if you ever want it painted properly in future
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

Jim San

Post by Jim San »

itchyfeet wrote:
Jim San wrote: at 350 does it matter? I it lasts 2 or 3 years, just have it done again

Its not £350 because there is also £350 of prep, next time that could be a whole lot more if the old stuff has to come off.

a professional paint job most of the cost is the prep so like vinly wrap you may regret putting it on if you ever want it painted properly in future

I get it. I thought £350 was the whole job, i only read it quickly.

I'd say its not a substitute for a spray job. Its an addition. I'm not saying do it, i'm saying the info I have seen and the results I have seen look ok. Its a 'temporary' coating that can be added to glossy paint, once removed the glossy paint is unharmed, the paint does not have to prep'd like it does for a respray.
I dont know all the answers to the questions - re the welding, i'm sure it would react in a similar way to paint - not very well. but the panel could be peeled and redone.

Jim San

Post by Jim San »

Just messaged the lad I know who does it and asked the Q's posted by the OP

Here was the reply
"It lasts around 2 years if looked after properly maybe 3, I washed mine weekly with an industrial pressure wash using Autoglym snow foam, it didn't trap any moisture on the mini and after two years I peeled it off and the paint was still mint, it doesn't chip, but can easily be scratched when first applied, I didn't wash mine for 3 weeks as it was still soft, on the mini it didn't bleach or fade."

browneyes1311

Post by browneyes1311 »

Jim San wrote:Just messaged the lad I know who does it and asked the Q's posted by the OP

Here was the reply
"It lasts around 2 years if looked after properly maybe 3, I washed mine weekly with an industrial pressure wash using Autoglym snow foam, it didn't trap any moisture on the mini and after two years I peeled it off and the paint was still mint, it doesn't chip, but can easily be scratched when first applied, I didn't wash mine for 3 weeks as it was still soft, on the mini it didn't bleach or fade."

Thats interesting and I take on board MM query re if you need welding or repair.

I have asked that question/Response was if you need repair such as wekding yes it wil affect the paint but you peel it of in the affected area do the repair an then respray. Allegedly it is easy to retouch and it is a seamless repair. That bit about seamless Im not so sure about.

One thing that was said was that it was noted it did not react well to fuel spillage when filling vehicle up it sort of wrinkled and discoloured, however it was then removed and resprayed. Personally i think to cut and pel one bit and respray so no spray line/join is goin to take an expert sprayer.

So far my conclusions are that
a. Its temporary 2-3 years max
b. If all bodywork has been properly prepped and treated its not going to allow air intrusion thus causing oxidisation
c. Personal thought - It has to be done in dry no humidity time otherwise risk of water molecules in air
d. It reacts to fuel spillage
e. Matt would look absolutely carp
f. When it comes to removing it even i could peel it off so no huge costly reprep
g. if bodywork has been properly prepped before this when its remove there is possibility that it wil be same underneath as before prepped so ready for full paintjob when funds /energy available
h.. Its a new concept and Im scared

Risks
Its relatively untried in this country
We have higher humidity than california so additional considerations
Rust occurs from inside of van not just exterior metal
It will hide problems that with paint i may see ie bubbling and staining
It could look carp

browneyes1311

Post by browneyes1311 »

additional thought I definately dont wash mine weekly!! Only when it gets sh** high

Wonders if that will increase longevity

Alreday advised no cheap carwashes with the rolling brushes so suggests it doesnot react wel to abrasion

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

In conclusion,if you have a grand spare,do it bit I would let others that seen to enthuse about it get thwres done first,have stopped to think why nobody else in here has done it,
mm

Mk2Tony
80-90 Mem No: 13793

Post by Mk2Tony »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation ... _Ta1KTrzqg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hopefully this link will work, seen quite a few cars done like this now and it does looks good, you would defo have to do decent prep with regards to rust and stuff first though but I don't think it would be any different to paint.
Rust will come through eventually no matter what even if you pay top dollar for a re-spray

Tony
T25 2L Aircooled Devon Moonraker 1981 "General Custard"

Tony, Rox & Pixie

SamsBus2012
80-90 Mem No: 11455

Post by SamsBus2012 »

You might just succeed in preventing the oxygen reaching the external faces of the panels but what about the inside faces and seepage at the edges?
Tom (aka Matt)
1986 Hightop with 1.9dg 4spd. The boys call him "Magnus"