Solar panel (bad timing)

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

scottbott
80-90 Mem No: 6085

Re: Solar panel (bad timing)

Post by scottbott »

I have a 20 watt solar panel with a victron blue solar 5a charge controller,the controller is connected to the leisure battery with large anderson connectors(from an electric wheelchair),we have quite a lot of these as we keep them when we scrap an electric wheelchair,the panel is normally propped up against the windscreen,I know this is not ideal but will try to make a quick detach so I have it mounted on the bullbar and the cable going through the sidewindow,better than nothing I reckon
Nil carborundum illegitimi

printmonkey
80-90 Mem No: 11456

Post by printmonkey »

Timwhy wrote:
Westy End wrote:Hi printmonkey.

Any more progress with this installation? It would be great to see how you have tackled it. I was thinking of putting the panel at the back of the roof - with the wires rearmost. Perhaps sticking it down with heavy duty velcro and releasing fasteners in each corner so the panel could be tilted if needed. I would then run the wires through a hole (with grommet) outside the canvas at the back of the roof and feed it through the top of the canvas and down the rear corner of the interior and through to the top of the wardrobe. The controller and LED screen could be in the tray at the front of the wardrobe and then wires to the batteries from there.

do you see any problems with this set up with your experience of your installation? Also - what wire do you need to go from the controller to the batteries?

many thanks

I ran my wires into the left rear vent, where I drilled two holes and used grommets to route the wires thru. They then enter the closet and to the Charge Controller on the side of it.

My latest project for my solar setup was the addition of a foldable 100 watt panel that I can move around the campsite when my main panel on the roof is not in direct sunlight. I installed a 12 plug behind my drivers seat as the point of entry to the charge controller. The plug on the bottom is where I will connect the folding panels wires.

I haven't mounted the controller and meter yet, they are still on a ghetto style mdf off cut for now. Panel is mounted with sikaflex now so it isn't going anywhere. I used 3mm2 cable as I had some lying around and I'm really pleased with the results considering the weather this week.

If you are planning on mounting the panel at the back of the roof timwhy's post above and on the samba are the best place to start. His posts are very detailed and should help with your installation.
US Import Vanagon GL Westfalia (Subaru EJ25)

printmonkey

Post by printmonkey »

Timwhy wrote:
Westy End wrote:Hi printmonkey.

Any more progress with this installation? It would be great to see how you have tackled it. I was thinking of putting the panel at the back of the roof - with the wires rearmost. Perhaps sticking it down with heavy duty velcro and releasing fasteners in each corner so the panel could be tilted if needed. I would then run the wires through a hole (with grommet) outside the canvas at the back of the roof and feed it through the top of the canvas and down the rear corner of the interior and through to the top of the wardrobe. The controller and LED screen could be in the tray at the front of the wardrobe and then wires to the batteries from there.

do you see any problems with this set up with your experience of your installation? Also - what wire do you need to go from the controller to the batteries?

many thanks

I ran my wires into the left rear vent, where I drilled two holes and used grommets to route the wires thru. They then enter the closet and to the Charge Controller on the side of it.

My latest project for my solar setup was the addition of a foldable 100 watt panel that I can move around the campsite when my main panel on the roof is not in direct sunlight. I installed a 12 plug behind my drivers seat as the point of entry to the charge controller. The plug on the bottom is where I will connect the folding panels wires.

I haven't mounted the controller and meter yet, they are still on a ghetto style mdf off cut for now. Panel is mounted with sikaflex now so it isn't going anywhere. I used 3mm2 cable as I had some lying around and I'm really pleased with the results considering the weather this week.

If you are planning on mounting the panel at the back of the roof timwhy's post above and on the samba are the best place to start. His posts are very detailed and should help with your installation.

Timwhy
80-90 Mem No: 9058

Post by Timwhy »

Had hoped for a better sunny day but that wasn't happening! Here's how my portable panel is connected to my solar setup.
http://youtu.be/AUs8VkxAqBY
1987 Westy
What the Westy Wants,The Westy Gets

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_ ... ts=summary" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

that panal fits snug in the westy luggage hole ( dont forget and bung something up there) :lol: , what output is the panal and what should it give
mm

printmonkey

Post by printmonkey »

:D I do have blonde moments (usually lager related) when I'm camping so it's only a matter of time! Output is supposed to be 4.56A according to the manufacturers spec, at the moment I can't really give an accurate figure on what it's giving. The only day I've been around and the light was good it was reading 0.9A on the meter. Both batteries are being kept charged though so I guess that figure has probably been higher during the days I've been at work.

ninja.turtle007
80-90 Mem No: 7278

Post by ninja.turtle007 »

printmonkey wrote::D I do have blonde moments (usually lager related) when I'm camping so it's only a matter of time! Output is supposed to be 4.56A according to the manufacturers spec, at the moment I can't really give an accurate figure on what it's giving. The only day I've been around and the light was good it was reading 0.9A on the meter. Both batteries are being kept charged though so I guess that figure has probably been higher during the days I've been at work.

Was the panel getting direct sunlight when you was getting 0.9A?
Full time Explorer http://www.resfeber.co.uk

printmonkey

Post by printmonkey »

Not direct sunlight for more than a few minutes it was fairly cloudy. I'm hoping for some good weather at a weekend when I can actually see what's happening. Both batteries are still fully charged.

Timwhy
80-90 Mem No: 9058

Post by Timwhy »

Finally a nice bright sunny day though a bit cold. I had a chance to go thru my solar setup and try out the 100 watt panel. Pleased with the results and should only be better once summer arrives!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pLVdno0 ... 8i2Z2n8MLg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1987 Westy
What the Westy Wants,The Westy Gets

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_ ... ts=summary" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

printmonkey

Post by printmonkey »

It's taken a year of looking at the 'temporary' installation to make me come up with an improved version.

The Dometic fridge is long gone so the vent was not required, the LCD meter and 2 x dual usb sockets mounted in the vent location.

New mounting base for the charge controller, fuses and a 12v socket (wired directly to the leisure battery for a Waeco fridge)
Looks off in the picture but it is straight now! The wiring needs to be tidied up a bit though.

123-jn
80-90 Mem No: 12161

Post by 123-jn »

That cheap MPPT controller near the top of the thread does have an MPPT controller but the components are cheap and the mosfets are not even properly heatsinked to the alu back/heatsink.. Really it needs a more chunky heatsink on the back if it is to last a while. I have one charging the battery bank in my shed with a 60 watt panel. It should give a max current of 4.45 amps but when the batteries have discharged a bit the c ontroller has actually provided 5.5 amps charging using MPPT. Probably better off buying a better one though looking at the feeble internals. The coils do not have as many turns as I would expect either which must limit the current achieved. Most of these especially the ones below 40 pounds are fake MPPT and really PWM controllers.
Do remember that when you are checking the current your battery bank needs to be in a reasonably discharged state as the controllers will reduce the current as the batteries reach full charge condition.
123-jn Autohomes Komet 2.1 DJ AUTO 1989 (closed loop LPG pierburg 2E3)
- Citroen C4 Picasso 1.6 HDi

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

You guys obviously use a great deal more power than me...you must do if you are willing to faf about with mobile panels altering angles and chasing the rays.
On the other hand, when we go camping we park where ever, never think about 'if the panel' is optimally placed in relation to the sun, basically just let it do its thing.

After an evenings demands on the batteries the LCD panel has read as low as 60% first thing in the morning but by midday is flashing 99% fully charged.

This Monday morning at Rutland waters (after 4 days static) I woke up late..about 9.15am, the LCD panel was already flashing 'fully charged' it was a sunny morning.... Chase the sun? I just go and camp :ok

As a side note* the guy posting 0.9 amps .... well of course it will be this low when the batteries are fully charged....put your lights on for 10 seconds and you'll soon see the controller kicking in 2 - 4 amps. The fact that it is just 0.9amps means the controller has switched its charge mode to 'float' .... trickle, so as not to overcharge.
Mine flashes between 0.5 and 1amp when flashing fully charged, even in direct sun light.

NOT A WIRE IN SIGHT! both sides look the same and there are no visible cables from the outside of the van. :ok

Martin
Last edited by California Dreamin on 09 Apr 2015, 09:25, edited 3 times in total.
1989 California 2.1MV

printmonkey

Post by printmonkey »

My panel is mounted in the front Westy luggage tray Martin and so far I've done the same as you. Handbrake on and let the sun do its thing! I'm using the 175mm Enduroline 100ah battery from Tayna that was discussed a while back and it seems to do the job.

ninja.turtle007
80-90 Mem No: 7278

Post by ninja.turtle007 »

Our power demand is much higher with a compressor fridge than it was with the original gas fridge. I like my beer cold. :trunk If it's cold we leaving the night heater on all night at 15c as my 3 and 7 year old sleep in the poptop. Their Hudls are also very power hungry.
Full time Explorer http://www.resfeber.co.uk

printmonkey

Post by printmonkey »

Good point. I don't have a heater (propex is sitting in a box wiring to be fitted) just non-working air-con and haven't used the waeco for more than 2 days.

I'm sure my power requirements will change and I'll be chasing the sun soon!