Solar panel (bad timing)

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

printmonkey
80-90 Mem No: 11456

Solar panel (bad timing)

Post by printmonkey »

Well October isn't the best time to think about solar panels but I need to keep my batteries topped up. Living in flats I can't run a hook up cable across the car park so I'm considering putting a solar panel in the westy luggage rack to keep the starter and leisure batteries charged. The only drain on the starter is a toad alarm which I need to validate my insurance policy. I've tried the ring battery maintainer panels but they don't provide enough power.

I'm wondering if anyone with a solar panel on their van can give me any info on the performance of their installation during the winter months. The panel size I have seen which fits in the luggage rack is 80w.

I know my timing isn't great but it would be good to have this in place for next year.
US Import Vanagon GL Westfalia (Subaru EJ25)

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Re: Solar panel (bad timing)

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

I have a 40w one on my boat and also van which is sufficient to keep the batteries in good nick throughout the year so an 80W one would be fine over the winter (you won't even have to worry about an automatic bilge pump draining the power :lol: ) The only problem is keeping them free of seagull shyte or leaves getting stuck on if the van is near trees as detritus can soon knock back the power output.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

printmonkey

Post by printmonkey »

Thanks for the feedback, leaves and a troublesome fox will be an issue. It's easy enough to brush the leaves off, as for the fox I might invest in an air rifle :D

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

I have been had to back down on this subject as it seems not all panels are created equal. I used to "bang on" about the poor dull weather performance of them, but so many folk say they get a reasonable amps from theirs, even on a dull day, that it seems the one I bought was simply not as efficient as the makers blurb claimed :roll: and other makes perform much better.

I can get about 3.5 amps out of mine as long as it "looking" at a hot bright sun, but as soon as a cloud blocks it, or it is simply a normal cloudy day, this drops to just a few tenths of an amp (typically say 1/4 of an amp). As I say, it seems that I just bought one with poorer performance (though it wasn't super cheap) as others get much better results, so choose wisely. Perhaps get a model specific recommendation from someone on here ?

Assuming you ("we") get some days of continuous sun, even in the winter, consider getting a solar panel charge controller too as you don't want to overcharge your battery ;)
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

printmonkey

Post by printmonkey »

Perhaps get a model specific recommendation from someone on here ?

Assuming you ("we") get some days of continuous sun, even in the winter, consider getting a solar panel charge controller too as you don't want to overcharge your battery ;)[/quote]

Good idea on the recommendation, I'll pm a few people from other threads. I've read positive reviews about http://www.photonicuniverse.com/en/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; on Amazon and eBay. I work about 5 mins from their office near baker st and I'm hoping to get some info from them I can share on here.

Oldiebut goodie

20A MPPT controller is £8 or so - like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-10-15-20-30 ... 43c00c1ef2
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

Oldiebut goodie wrote:20A MPPT controller is £8 or so - like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-10-15-20-30 ... 43c00c1ef2

And that controller also has a low voltage cut off too :ok (to prevent your leisure battery over discharging = essential in my opinion)
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

windysurfer
80-90 Mem No: 3805

Post by windysurfer »

Oldiebut goodie wrote:20A MPPT controller is £8 or so - like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-10-15-20-30 ... 43c00c1ef2

I'm pretty sure that is just a solar regulator not a MPPT controller despite what the advert says :roll:
If Carlsberg made Coachbuilts...........Image T4 Karmann Colorado

printmonkey

Post by printmonkey »

windysurfer wrote:

I'm pretty sure that is just a solar regulator not a MPPT controller despite what the advert says :roll:

Seems too good to be true but at £8 it's worth a punt. I'm looking for panels today and to get one to fit within the westy luggage rack is proving to be a pain, it looks like I might be connecting 2 smaller panels in series.

The boss isn't too happy about drilling holes in the van for the wiring so I'm going to use the city water (us spec vanagon) inlet on the side of the van with a waterproof connector like this: http://www.torberry.co.uk/superbasket/c ... +-+40+amps" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This will give me a small panel on the roof to keep the batteries topped up whilst parked up at home and a connection to the charge controller to plug in a folding panel that I can use when camping.

Just need some overtime now to pay for it.

printmonkey

Post by printmonkey »

Well I've done a temporary install to see how the panel charged the batteries and all seems well for now. The panel and charge controller are maintaining both batteries. I'll monitor it for a few weeks before deciding on a permanent mounting solution for the charge controller and meter.

Panel was a perfect fit (not mounted in the picture) from eBay (item no. 200948220321)

Mounted on the van and bulgin buccaneer waterproof plug/sockets connected for use while parked. The cable can be removed before driving off and connected when camping to charge the leisure battery. http://www.bulgin.co.uk/Products/Buccan ... er900.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Waterproof socket mounted in the city water hook up box

Temporary MDF mounting board for the dual battery charge controller from http://www.photonicuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and LCD meter from amazon.co.uk
The settings on the charge controller can adjusted to give priority to the main battery or leisure, once that battery has reached 100% the power automatically goes to the other battery.

Pretty poor phone pictures I know. It was New Years Eve, raining, getting dark and I wanted a beer :wink:

Oldiebut goodie

windysurfer wrote:

Oh?

1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

Westy End
80-90 Mem No: 7733

Post by Westy End »

Great set up printmonkey - I will be copying it soon.

I am sure to add more heat than light here as I am not an expert in solar charging controllers but I spent some time browsing the web on the subject last night. What seemed to be the consensus (amongst the various boating websites I ended up on) was cheap MPPT may not have the advantage over the PWM controllers as they are not as efficient as their more expensive counterparts. Also the benefit from the MPPT is only marginal at the powers typically used on our vans - 100w for example.

I am not saying that MPPT are not worth it just that the perceived benefits may not be great at these wattages and perhaps shouldnt sway the decision about which controller to use.

Also, I couldnt find any MPPT with an LED meter or which charge both batteries which is nice to have.
....========¬====¬
.../-/--|----||---\-----‴-----\
..#/__|__ ||__❚[\_____⌒ _\›
.|======|===[ ❑❑ΞⓦΞ❑❑]
[⎛⎞...|.....|⎛⎞ [ ‹=====›]
-⎝⎠\_|__ /⎝⎠ ⫅=====⫆⎠ (apologies to jed the spread)

printmonkey

Post by printmonkey »

Westy End wrote:Great set up printmonkey - I will be copying it soon.

I am sure to add more heat than light here as I am not an expert in solar charging controllers but I spent some time browsing the web on the subject last night. What seemed to be the consensus (amongst the various boating websites I ended up on) was cheap MPPT may not have the advantage over the PWM controllers as they are not as efficient as their more expensive counterparts. Also the benefit from the MPPT is only marginal at the powers typically used on our vans - 100w for example.

I am not saying that MPPT are not worth it just that the perceived benefits may not be great at these wattages and perhaps shouldnt sway the decision about which controller to use.

Also, I couldnt find any MPPT with an LED meter or which charge both batteries which is nice to have.

Dual battery charging was the reason I chose the controller, I couldn't find a dual battery MPPT controller either. I've checked the batteries every night and they are charged even though the weather has been bad. Not a bad result really and it didn't cost more than the amount I was "allowed" to spend :D

Westy End
80-90 Mem No: 7733

Post by Westy End »

Hi printmonkey.

Any more progress with this installation? It would be great to see how you have tackled it. I was thinking of putting the panel at the back of the roof - with the wires rearmost. Perhaps sticking it down with heavy duty velcro and releasing fasteners in each corner so the panel could be tilted if needed. I would then run the wires through a hole (with grommet) outside the canvas at the back of the roof and feed it through the top of the canvas and down the rear corner of the interior and through to the top of the wardrobe. The controller and LED screen could be in the tray at the front of the wardrobe and then wires to the batteries from there.

do you see any problems with this set up with your experience of your installation? Also - what wire do you need to go from the controller to the batteries?

many thanks
....========¬====¬
.../-/--|----||---\-----‴-----\
..#/__|__ ||__❚[\_____⌒ _\›
.|======|===[ ❑❑ΞⓦΞ❑❑]
[⎛⎞...|.....|⎛⎞ [ ‹=====›]
-⎝⎠\_|__ /⎝⎠ ⫅=====⫆⎠ (apologies to jed the spread)

Timwhy
80-90 Mem No: 9058

Post by Timwhy »

Westy End wrote:Hi printmonkey.

Any more progress with this installation? It would be great to see how you have tackled it. I was thinking of putting the panel at the back of the roof - with the wires rearmost. Perhaps sticking it down with heavy duty velcro and releasing fasteners in each corner so the panel could be tilted if needed. I would then run the wires through a hole (with grommet) outside the canvas at the back of the roof and feed it through the top of the canvas and down the rear corner of the interior and through to the top of the wardrobe. The controller and LED screen could be in the tray at the front of the wardrobe and then wires to the batteries from there.

do you see any problems with this set up with your experience of your installation? Also - what wire do you need to go from the controller to the batteries?

many thanks

I ran my wires into the left rear vent, where I drilled two holes and used grommets to route the wires thru. They then enter the closet and to the Charge Controller on the side of it.

My latest project for my solar setup was the addition of a foldable 100 watt panel that I can move around the campsite when my main panel on the roof is not in direct sunlight. I installed a 12 plug behind my drivers seat as the point of entry to the charge controller. The plug on the bottom is where I will connect the folding panels wires.
1987 Westy
What the Westy Wants,The Westy Gets

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_ ... ts=summary" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;