Electrical advice please!

Syncro 4&4 Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics (browse for Syncro links)

You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

SYNCRO-VIKING
80-90 Mem No: 0

Electrical advice please!

Post by SYNCRO-VIKING »

Is there an electrical engineer on this forum???

First I must confess that my problem has nothing to do with my Syncro but with providing limited electrical power for my homestead in the wild woods here in Bulgaria. Maybe next spring I will decide on solar and/or wind, or most likely biomass as I have an inexhaustible supply of that, but to get me through the coming winter the plan is this:

Proposal:
Use a new 2.6KW petrol generator (BEG2601), it has 2 AC sockets, combined output 11.3 A, connect a new battery charger to each of these 2 sockets, and then connect 2 or more new "deep-cycle / leisure" lead-acid batteries of c 100 AH each to these 2 chargers, this in order to make the most of the generator running time as I expect charging time for partially discharged batteries to be around 10 hours, so saving money on petrol, which over the winter would more than pay for the extra charger.
As an example, an ASAAB 18 Amp charger draws max 300 Watt (from the http://www.conrad.de" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; website) so, as I understand it, the generator would easily be able to drive those 2 chargers on max output simultaneously.
With maybe a total of 8 batteries, 4 in use and 4 on stand-by or being charged, I reckon that I could reduce generator time to 1 day a week, which would be acceptable.

Is the above a reasonable proposition???

Consumption:
In another house I have close by, which is on the grid, and where I have been living the last few months, my total consumption has been between 35 and 40 KWH per month - not very much at all but all I have running is
- TOOWAY satellite internet system (max 24 Watt),
- ASUS EEE1005PE laptop (max 65 Watt),
- external monitor (no wattage stated on back but instead it says 1.5 Amp and it is a 19 inch ASUS VW193DR),
- the above 3 normally run together, say an average of 5 hours per day (but sometimes longer!)

plus
- a few lights for a few hours per day,
- a new super-efficient refrigerator (max 165 Watt) permanently connected.

To reduce consumption I could switch the fridge off for the winter as we can expect minus 20C here in the Balkans, so just fill a couple of water cans and leave them outside to freeze, then stick them in the fridge - or simply unplug the fridge and relocate it for the winter to the coldest room in the house, problem solved.

Thanks in advance for advice and comments!
SYNCRO - 253 297 - 1.6TD - June 1992