Water thingy

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

nicq
80-90 Mem No: 10290

Re: Water thingy

Post by nicq »

I did not realise I have been using Milton for years
2.1 Twin slider

meggles

Post by meggles »

So I assume that if I sterilise with Milton and give it a good rinse it will still be coated with the residue. Buggar, I'll have to use bleach then :roll:

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Post by CJH »

Seababa wrote: Am I alone in this and missing a great feature?

Nope, you're not alone - having an on-board water tank and external filler, and then an electric pump just to lift the water from there to the tap, all so I can fill a kettle, seems unnecessary. If you want to fill it you're supposed to drive the van to the tap, unless of course you fill it from a separate water carrier, in which case why bother with the internal tank? A portable carrier under the sink, with maybe a drop-in submersible pump, seems more sensible. Easier to clean too.

I'm thinking of taking out my on-board water tank and freeing up that space (and the external filler point) for a gas tank installation - now having one of those DOES make sense, as the gas is much cheaper than bottled gas, and you don't have to worry about the bottle running out because you can top up a tank.

Having stored water and portable gas bottles seem back to front to me.
"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

Seababa
80-90 Mem No: 10861

Post by Seababa »

CJH, that exactly how I see it!

We have used the bus this year for pretty much all of the summer, including 3 festivals and a 12 night holiday. All the places have had a water point and if just a one night camp then the water container we take is enough.
We use water for the kettle and pasta etc and washing up and that's all. I see filling up a massive tank and then the whole sterilisation stuff and remembering to empty it etc just a bit overboard.
Each to there own I suppose. Maybe I'll get rid and utilise the space :D

Happy camping!
1990 Autohomes Komet

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

Underslung gas AND underslung water is the only way to go. No more swapping expensive portable gas cylinders, fill up at will anywhere in Europe at pence per litre. No carrying water around like some kind of shed-dragger *shakes head* we can carry 3 or 4 days worth of clean drinking water under the floor and still have all the internal storage.

Ian
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

milton eats alluminum , the prop in your pump and most likely your tap at the very least will be eaten over time, and the residue as Kev says is not good....as well as the fact its three times the price of puriclean, which is made for the job.
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

meggles

Post by meggles »

Thanks for that Steve and Ian. As I've not been using the underslung tank I haven't even priced up the Milton and Puriclean. As mines an underslung tank it's never in the way and it's easier than filling up water bottles to put in the cupboard etc, though I'll still probs carry both (only a small drinking water one though). Hard to break the habit I suppose. Plus, I have to be very careful about what I eat and drink. I can old drink liquids and only eat food. :wink: :roll:

dinovan89

Post by dinovan89 »

i use mine for washing up and filling the kettle, and take a 5l bottle of water for drinking. and beer for drinking ;)

contrary to the idea of leaving some water in so it sloshes around, i leave the underside cap off mine when I'm not using it so it drains completely and lets air in. this also means I'm not dragging all that weight around - water is VERY heavy!

filling up with some steriliser and then driving around for a bit seems a great idea to give it a good clean though!

80-90 Mem No: 3299

Post by 1664 »

Carrying water is no different to carrying a passenger. 1 litre=1kg; 10 stone=63kg. Won't make a nat's difference to mpg
Vorsprung Durch Technik my ar$e!

meggles

Post by meggles »

1664 wrote:Carrying water is no different to carrying a passenger. 1 litre=1kg; 10 stone=63kg. Won't make a nat's difference to mpg
Sometimes I'd rather carry a load of water than a passenger :roll:

dinovan89

Post by dinovan89 »

1664 wrote:Carrying water is no different to carrying a passenger. 1 litre=1kg; 10 stone=63kg. Won't make a nat's difference to mpg

but you wouldnt carry a dead passenger around would you? :roll:

80-90 Mem No: 3299

Post by 1664 »

dinovan89 wrote:

but you wouldnt carry a dead passenger around would you? :roll:
How little you know me :twisted:
Vorsprung Durch Technik my ar$e!

Smosh
80-90 Mem No: 12801

Post by Smosh »

I wasnt sure of this. I have two bottles? under my sink. one for grey water and one for fresh but I havent cleaned it since previous owner so need to work that out before i do it. I think my tap has the switch built in. Either way I enjoyed pulling into a car park the other day and being able to supply a car that was overheating!
1984 Voltswagen 25 Pop-Top (No idea what type!?) 1.9 W/C Petrol based in Guernsey, C.I.

Drucifer
80-90 Mem No: 13154

Post by Drucifer »

Wish I had an under slung water carrier, instead just got a tank in one the cupboards.
'89 Reimo High Top conversion now with added GTI

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

Drucifer wrote:Wish I had an under slung water carrier, instead just got a tank in one the cupboards.

CAK tanks have them in stock with a fitting kit :ok
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)