Blue Syncro on e-bay new owner

Syncro 4&4 Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics (browse for Syncro links)

You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

classic campers
80-90 Mem No: 0

Blue Syncro on e-bay new owner

Post by classic campers »

I am the proud new owner of the blue syncro that a few of you have been talking about, it is my first syncro, and so far I love it,I drove it 400 miles home, and it never missed a beat, apart from not being able to switch the heater off. Even thinking about doing away with my bomb proof landcruiser and using it as my main car, if I can persuade my wife!!!!!!
Unfortunately Paul, the guy I bought it of told me a few porkies about the speedo, he reckoned it only needed a new cable, which is definitely not the case, as there is nothing turning in the gearbox, can anyone advise as to what the problem might be?
Also would like to install a couple of seats that I could put in and take when needed to carry all the kids we carried in the 8 seater toyota, any help on that front would be much appreciated
Buy the way the thread about driving it through a scrap yard was quite amusing, I suppose I can thank my lucky stars that the scrap would stick to it unlike most of the t25`s out there..

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: Blue Syncro on e-bay new owner

Post by Aidan »

hello and welcome
keep the Landcruiser as a tow vehicle/kids mover/future classic you'll never get another one for what you sell it for
re the speedo if the drive isn't turning at the front diff the the speedo drive cog has probably stripped; the shaft of the speedo drive and the sleeve it runs in are dissimilar metal and corrosion can cause them to bind up, the shaft has a nylon cog on the end which is designed to strip without damaging anything in the box - if this is the case then a new one is the only solution, but only available in a limited choice of cogs now from Brickwerks. The sleeve is secured in the diff housing with a rollpin, once removed you can use the nut on the end of the speedo cable as a point to gently pry the whole assembly out of the diff housing, check the colour of the nylon cog and the number of teeth and order as appropriate. I don't have any speedo drives available any more, though I do have new rollpins and o rings in stock. Be aware the case can easily be damaged you need a good 5mm punch to drift the rollpin out and plusgas/patience is the rule, awkward to do insitu but can be done without removing the diff
enjoy

Syncrobaz
80-90 Mem No: 10610

Post by Syncrobaz »

Welcome :D What Aiden says plus if you fit more than 7 seats your insurance premium may shoot up :shock:

Looks like you got a good deal eventually !!
Syncronaut no 152
92 RHD mv panel van
94 RHD jx doka 16"

classic campers
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by classic campers »

Aidan.
Thanks for all your info, We have found the pin, no point in trying to remove it yet until we have the new part.
The code on the box is ALM 46168. with a separate A on it`s own.
Thanks again .

v-lux
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 2951

Post by v-lux »

In my experience, it's FAR easier to remove the front diff to replace the speedo drive.

Put yourself a day aside, pull the front diff out, swap the drive gears over etc. Whilst the front diff is out, pull both of your front drive shafts and clean/repack your front inner and outer CV joints. Make sure to inspect the boots very carefully for wear and tear - replace anything that looks suspect.

You'll only curse yourself otherwise when you have to do a front CV joint/boot in a couple of months anyway. Its so much easier to do the shafts with the front diff out of the vehicle.

:ok

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

Ian, ok so as expected you have the rarest speedo drive combination, 094 409 181 H, no longer available from vw classic parts and Simon doesn't stock it, and I haven't got one, but it might possibly be available from VW so I have ordered it, we'll know in a couple of days if is available or whether it goes obsolete. The cog inside the box is a 7 tooth one and only works with that one drive so if it's not available and you want a speedo you'll have to have the diff opened and change the internal drive cog to an 8 then you can use one of the three that is still available from Brickwerks
If the front shafts need work then dropping the diff to do it in one go makes sense.