Advice with travelling through Rouen France requested please

Where you go, where you stay and everything to do with getting there and back.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Charlie1950
80-90 Mem No: 10948

Advice with travelling through Rouen France requested please

Post by Charlie1950 »

We are travelling from Calais down to the Vendee in a weeks time and whilst we have done this trip many times, we haven't for the last 8 - 10 years. It always used to be a nightmare getting through Rouen and crossing the river at the right bridge to get the correct road out of the city on the other side. Once we'd done it a couple of times it was a lot easier. Looking on Google Maps there now appears to be the N28/N338 that seems to go straight through Rouen. Is this the case, and is it a main road that you just stay on taking you straight though Rouen, only the last time we went, there were a lot of minor/side roads involved?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Charlie.

tetleysid
80-90 Mem No: 6622

Re: Advice with travelling through Rouen France requested please

Post by tetleysid »

Sorry Charlie Rouen was and still is a bloody nightmare to navigate ......... bon courage :ok
Check out my overhaul @ ..... http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=63162" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just do it!

4 screws are better than 2 blow jobs!

Bowton Lad
80-90 Mem No: 2488

Post by Bowton Lad »

Charlie, why on earth you would want to drive through the middle of Rouen, I have no idea. :shock:

If you must cross the Seine at/near Rouen then consider using Le Pont de Brotonne (D490) west of the city. You would be using a number of ''D'' roads but you will make good progress on them. East of Rouen there are bridges at Les Andelys & Vernon. I would choose the bridge at Brotonne if travelling to the Vendee. However, there is an excellent camp site near the bridge at Les Andelys.
BOWTON LAD, CLUB 80-90 MEMBER No.2488

2013 VW PASSAT ESTATE 2.OL TDI BLUE MOTION TECHNOLOGY

ttcharlie
80-90 Mem No: 3706

Post by ttcharlie »

Also be aware if you have a HT camper of the infamous restricted height underpasses in the area.

Its a common place for vans/motorhomes etc to become stuck!

Cheers
Counting Bricks........

Charlie1950
80-90 Mem No: 10948

Post by Charlie1950 »

Bowtonlad, it's either that or the peripherique and overall I prefer the journey that goes through Rouen. ttcharlie, we've previously travelled the main route through Rouen towing a caravan and never came across any height restriction underpasses. One thing we did on occasions was to follow HGVs through Rouen, but now I'm getting a little concerned regarding these underpasses, although we've never before come across these underpasses and our caravan was about 4" higher than the HI-Top.

Perhaps I'll open a new thread requesting information on these height restricted underpasses, particularly as I'm now going to use a SatNav (with an atlas also I might add)

Charlie.

blacky
80-90 Mem No: 11413

Post by blacky »

You can also take the small ferry across the Seine at port Jerome. Though I say small it will take large artics, we use it with campervans. 1/2 hour max wait as its continually shuttling back and forth, and it's free with no booking needed. Just turn up and go. Can you imagine it being free in rip off Britain ?

trucker
80-90 Mem No: 8980

Post by trucker »

Hi, we crossed the Seine at Duclair by the ferry last year, Just to the west of Rouen then the D64 or D45 t0 reconnect with the main routes.
Not the fastest way but quite pleasant if you've got the time.
Free as well :ok
Quit ad modum panis tosti