How to adjust manual wing mirror on VW T25 B reg

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

bingbing

How to adjust manual wing mirror on VW T25 B reg

Post by bingbing »

Yes I am a girl & not great in the mechanical knowledge (I am playing on the girl thing here to get help. It comes in useful occasionally). This is probably an easy problem to solve for most & hopefully will be for me with a bit of help. I have a Breg T25 Devon Camper. Watercooled. The wing mirrors have a habit of moving, especially when on the motorway. Its a right pain, rolling down the window & holding it in place so I can overtake. (It may be rare, but it can happen). Can anyone tell me how to tighten it up. I am guessing I have to take the door panel off inside & do it from there. Cheers all for any help. Bingbing

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Re: How to adjust manual wing mirror on VW T25 B reg

Post by R0B »

Remove the two screws on the base of the mirror.Look under the bracket.There is a 10mm nut.Tighten this up.Not too tight mind.See how it goes on your next run.If its still loose repeat the the above.You can see the nut on this picture.

2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

:|
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

J-Lo
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by J-Lo »

R0B wrote:Remove the two screws on the base of the mirror.Look under the bracket.There is a 10mm nut.Tighten this up.Not too tight mind.See how it goes on your next run.If its still loose repeat the the above.You can see the nut on this picture.

This is driving me spare. I've tightened that bolt up as much as I can, but still the mirrors fold in on themselves when doing about 60mph. Why do you say, Rob, not to screw them too tight? Is tightening them the only solution to this?

nevill3
80-90 Mem No: 8062
Location: UK Lake District, Early 1.6D CS now 4 speed gearbox

Post by nevill3 »

Another solution is to lightly sand the balls, you have to remove the nuts to do that though :oops:
1983 1.6D cs PopTop Camper

Baysbrown Farm Campsite, Lake District

a1winchester
80-90 Mem No: 7187

Post by a1winchester »

Don't worry, this a common problem with new(ish) mirrors. The plastic / nylon or whatever they are made from is too slippy. I'm still adjusting mine. You think you have it sorted, then a bit of sunshine or extra strong wind and they droop again! :roll:
Next resort is the sandy balls trick for me.
Hope you are managing to get the 2 fixing screws undone and done up easily. I find that a ratchet drive is easier than a screwdriver. You have better leverage and less chance of messing up the screw heads.
Something like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Piece-Ratchet-R ... chet+drive
1990 Autosleeper Trident. Water cooled 1.9L DG + 4 speed manual box

Paule39
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Paule39 »

I had exactly same prob with my new mirror. Take it off, grease and sand the ball as suggested and also a rubber washer on the casing>arm joint has meant mine didn't move at all on recent 450 mile round trip, only downside is I can't adjust it as I tightened the nut a tad too much, but its not a problem - Im not too worried whats behind me anyways :D