Dehler Profi roof transplant onto a Syncro

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Re: Dehler Profi roof transplant onto a Syncro

Post by Plasticman »

come on take some pickies of the inside, youve seen rays yoiu know what to look for :lol: or not :shock:
serenity can you post some picks up of what your speaking of
mm

serenitycamper
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 10458

Post by serenitycamper »

syncropatrick wrote:No interior light at the back, however the roof is double skin.

You mean that section the light would be in is double skinned? If so you're ok. There was an additional M code at the factory which designated an extra support piece which was spot welded to the bit you can see (with the light in) and it went all the way around to keep the bus rigid. Mine didn't have it so it was a lot of fabrication to get it to work right.

No the cross member fits between the two upper sections of the roof, its designed that way. Just a case of drilling holes in a suitable area and bolting it down.

The fibreglass was slightly larger than the width of the roof so there was no problem getting the roof onto the tin. Once all the necessary chopping and adding of metal was completed we keyed the surface of the metal with 40 grit paper and made sure all the surfaces were cleaned and degreased. Then we applied 5 tubes of Tiger seal to both the roof and the metalwork where the roof would sit. The roof was then lowered and allowed to settle. Then we ran several self drilling fixings around the perimeter of the roof just above gutter level to add extra support.

The front lip over the windscreen is fine, it sits just above where the windscreen seal sits. Again, if you've measured all the other bits right, it will just sit in the right place. The edge of the fibreglass which is supposed to be a gutter (that on the Dehlers was moulded into the original side gutters) is useless. If you prevent the water from getting to the side gutters when you're moving it just wells up on the lip between the screen and the roof, not a good place for water to be continually forced to. So I left the edges of the gutters open on either side for both drainage when stood still and in motion.

Yes i have a photo journal, send your email and I'll send the major ones!
1988 1.9 DG T3 'Serenity'
our blog - http://www.serenitycamper.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

Patrick. I think that you will be impressed by the aerodynamics of this roof!
I usually get 150 miles from a tank of lpg, with the Dehler strapped on top and a big hole in the top and sides (as you know), I got 141 from the tank before it fluffed.
I am very confident that this damaged roof will work really well as a demountable roof-tent faring.
PS If you want to borrow a spot-welder to fix any reinforcements to the bodyshell, let me know ;-)

syncropatrick
80-90 Mem No: 5294

Post by syncropatrick »

Progress!
Spent the day unpeeling roof from shell. Got all 3/4 of the way round. Thanks to MM for the tools, without them it'd have been a right pain.
Campervan Dehler Profi hightop Syncro 16” AGG

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Excellent work. I have found that whilst the Dehler plopped quite happily onto the SA, it doesn't sit as well on the syncro. Definite interference around the tailgate end, even with that long "tab" between the hinges removed. I am only talking about the last 3-4 mm before seating in the gutters at the rear, but it shows up the difference in the roof pressings.
I can't open the tailgate more than 6" either. All to be remedied.

syncropatrick

Post by syncropatrick »

Extraction completed!
I can now tidy up the edges, buy Sikaflex and plan a weekend to remove the Westy roof and plop the Dehler on.

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Looking at the remains of the roof frame, I now see why it won't just sit onto the outer skin. Think that I was lucky to get away with the demountable idea at all :shock: :shock:

PetenAli
80-90 Mem No: 8569

Post by PetenAli »

syncropatrick wrote: I can now tidy up the edges, buy Sikaflex and plan a weekend to remove the Westy roof and plop the Dehler on.

If you need a hand Patrick I'm sure we can come up to Brizzle one weekend to add some unskilled labour. Let us know...

Pete
1987 Westy Syncro 2.5 DJ (Courtesy of 025MOTORSPORT)

Syncronaut #171

bluebus1987
80-90 Mem No: 15052

Post by bluebus1987 »

Your actualy stripping of a westy roof from a 16 syncro to put a scabby hightop on?
Insane! leave it alone! everybody leave them alone! Give them to me I'll love them as they are.

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

It was originally a Caravelle iirc

syncropatrick

Post by syncropatrick »

bluebus1987 wrote:Your actualy stripping of a westy roof from a 16 syncro to put a scabby hightop on?
Insane! leave it alone! everybody leave them alone! Give them to me I'll love them as they are.
:rofl You can buy my mongrel, triggers broom for £25k unseen if you want.

bluebus1987
80-90 Mem No: 15052

Post by bluebus1987 »

25k for a fast apreciating rare retro vintage classic complete with tastefull patinated period modifications. I'll have a dozen! Stick em on ebay.
I have a tintop thats going to lose its tin at some point for a homebrew popper, which will no doubt be considered a crime one day! (can't afford a westie)
Plan is to remove b and c roof supports, hoops whatever you want to call them for near complete walk through space a la 16 syncro expedition wagon(mine is not a syncro nevermind a 16).
This would obviously need some serious thinking on reinforcement to stop the thing bending in the middle, but I'm sure it could be done.

syncropatrick

Post by syncropatrick »

You won't believe it, and I'm not sure I do yet!
Its amazing what you can do on an impromptu day off work.

On loosely fitted, needs fettling and glueing. See you all at AO!

Ker*******ching!
Last edited by syncropatrick on 15 Sep 2014, 16:36, edited 1 time in total.

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Tasty. See you in Dehler club corner :D

syncropatrick

Post by syncropatrick »

Since starting this project I've seen in the flesh at least four other Syncros with Dehler roof transplants. Common as muck now - I might have to take it off again. Now, which roof to sell? :lol:

There was a lot of crud under the front basket.
Roof looks fine, no rust at all. Seems a shame to cut a whopping great hole in it, but the sunroof over the cab will be fab. Sunroof comes with fly and shade screens, as does the biggg slider over the kitchen. Its big enough to stand up through, so I now have a lookout.