rear seat belt through camper cupboards

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

g.chalmers
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by g.chalmers »

Hi,
I'm looking for advice - I have a Holdsworth-converted panel van (no seatbelt mounting points fitted) which came with lap belts in the back - With kids to carry, I need 3 point harnesses in the back. The passenger's side was easy enough to add a 3 point belt, but the driver's side (RHD) has the cupboards in the way. My options would seem to lie between fitting a mount with an attachment which emerges through the cupboard, or fitting a rear rock and roll bed with integral seat belts and appropriate mounting (expensive and difficult to source).

Does anyone have any experience of fitting a belt through the cupboards? The floor and central mounts are already there for the lap belt.

Many thanks :)

GC

leonard
80-90 Mem No: 7766

Re: rear seat belt through camper cupboards

Post by leonard »

hi i have a devon and the seatbelt is fixed in cupboard, it comes out at the bottom of the door

1_eyed_jim
80-90 Mem No: 9011

Post by 1_eyed_jim »

I also have this problem and need a solution ASAP
Davvy - White Hightop 1986 2.1 DJ

Visit our Ebay shop http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Brick-Parts-UK" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bigell

Post by Bigell »

Hello there!

"The passenger's side was easy enough to add a 3 point belt",

Or so you say!

I a just about to buy a Holdsworth Villa conversion T25 which has no seat or lap belts in the rear. we have a baby and he has a seatnwe need to secure. How did you do you installation so easily, and where can I go for help?

Thank you.

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Post by clift_d »

Quick tip - if you put in your location it helps people respond.

It is possible to fit two three point belts from opposite side to the cupboard, and it is possible to retrofit to fit anchor points. There's a fair bit of info in other threads about three point belts, but on our Westy we found we were able to run both seatbelts from the sliding door side, so didn't need to mess with the cupboard. One belt we were able to fit ourselves using the Brickwerks kit with the retractor fitted behind the lining panel so it was out of the way of the bed.

The other belt, furthest from the door was fitted by a London company: Seat Belt Service. If you've no mounting points at all I should imagine they would be able put them in - this image on their site shows a two belt installation on the sliding door side which doesn't use the standard VW mounting points, so might be the sort of thing you'll need to do.
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

Pwag20
80-90 Mem No: 11694

Post by Pwag20 »

Seat belt service did mine. I'm in Kent so outside of the M25 area in which they operate so had to pay a £40 call out charge in addition to the cost to fit the belts. I would recommend them
Judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid

ninja.turtle007
80-90 Mem No: 7278

Post by ninja.turtle007 »

I used Seat Belt Service for my second 3 point. I would have used them for both had I know about them at the time.
Full time Explorer http://www.resfeber.co.uk

discipleofsketch
80-90 Mem No: 11538

Post by discipleofsketch »

leonard wrote:hi i have a devon and the seatbelt is fixed in cupboard, it comes out at the bottom of the door
Interested to see how this works, surely the belt needs to be higher so it goes over the seat? Or am I thinking of a different cupboard? Any chance of a photo? :)
Former owner of 1983 DG panel van and 1983 Devon moonraker pop-top, 1.9 tdi (1z) conversion

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Post by AdrianC »

If it were an issue for me, then I'd go for the seat-with-integral-belts option, tbh.

If the belts are bearing on the cupboard in any way, then if there's a collision, the cupboard becomes a big part of what's holding the occupant in. If the cupboard collapses or comes loose under that extra stress, then not only is the occupant now unbelted, but there's also a cupboard (or part of one) flying around. That's only going to end up being a bit messy.
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

stuartgpalmer
80-90 Mem No: 13312

Post by stuartgpalmer »

After scratching my head on this one for a while I cam up with a solution to fit seat belts through the cupboard for both out Autosleeper Trident and our Autohomes Kamper, both which have rear offside cupboards.

Pics of the Kamper are attached. The welding was done by Ian at South West VWs and uses the metalwork inside the cupboard which was fitted with the original Autohomes conversion.

The job on the Autosleeper is all new welding as there was no metalwork in the cupboards of those models. A diagonal metal strut goes between the belt fixing and is bolted to the side of the van with two chunky bolts. I can post pics if anyone wants to see.

Both of these have the non-retractable three point belts fitted. While these aren't ideal aesthetically, safety is my main concern and I saw this as a reasonable compromise.

photo-1.jpg
photo-1.jpg (102.96 KiB) Viewed 10846 times
photo-2.jpg
photo-2.jpg (96.52 KiB) Viewed 10846 times
photo-3.jpg
photo-3.jpg (96.15 KiB) Viewed 10846 times
Proud owner of 2 T25s - '86 and '87 - Hire a campervan in Devon - http://www.devoning.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

glewis

Post by glewis »

Hi - I know your post was a while ago but if you have any additional pics then that would be very helpful! Thanks