Diesel fan belt chirp

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

jed the spread
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Diesel fan belt chirp

Post by jed the spread »

Is there anything to permanently get rid of this annoying issue :twisted:

It probably is a thing you just have to put up with for the first few minutes but it gets on my nervs. The van runs so quiet for its fuel type and I dont want to hear the belt chirping away anymore on start up.

jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More

syncroandy
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 851

Re: Diesel fan belt chirp

Post by syncroandy »

Hi Jed, mine does this too but only when the battery's discharges a bit, I guess its just the alt working overtime for a minute or two, causing extra drag on the belt. What alt pulley and bracket/tensioner are you using ? I'm using the compact bracket, and struggling to find the part no of a clutched pulley for that setup.
Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004

futbus
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1266

Post by futbus »

We put a clutched pulley on but found that some times the noise was still there. The only way we cured it was to replace the bottom pulley as the old one had a slight wobble, and concluded that the pulley was rubbing on the ribs of the belt. Andy I`ll find the number for the pulley we have on ours and let you know, but can you send us a pic of you original as the tdi pulley is different to the AAZ in how far from the body of the alternator the ribs start. I can get some pics next week to make things clearer.

jed the spread
Trader

Post by jed the spread »

I am running the AAZ alternator and belt set up because I wanted to keep the battery in the back.

jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

jed the spread
Trader

Post by jed the spread »

Turns out things are not as chirpy as I thought. I noticed the chirp getting chirpy even when driving and convinced myself it was the fan belt, but after a while my exhaust snapped and now I just had half an hour spare I welded it back together and all is back to normal again :oops:

I thought I had done well after our Strater Florida trip and having no damage.

jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

jed the spread
Trader

Post by jed the spread »

The slight chirp that is remaining got the better of me and I was thinking what Andy said about his doing it when the battery needs a charge. I have a sterling charger and I was thinking it must be putting even more strain on the alternator on start up if my batteries needed a little bit of juice. I bought a new bush pack and fitted that and the chirp has now completely gone away, not even a slight whisper of a chirp.

Glad thats sorted as it was annoying me a bit.

jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM