1.cs Out - ..??... In

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

matt brighton
80-90 Mem No: 8092

1.cs Out - ..??... In

Post by matt brighton »

Dear all

I have set my sights on upgrading to a1Y as suggested by kev the rev as a fix for my leaking head gasket. I have a replacement head from Kit who kindly let me have it for nowt - but when he gave me a tour of his lovely van he whetted my appitete for replacing the whole engine for a 1Y (non turbo) as its such an easy swap and donor engines can be picked up fairly cheaply

I am struggling with the question of what are the additional install cost of going for a more powerful turbo engine in terms of money and difficulty ???

Do you think the furthur increase in power by installing a turbo justified by whatever the additional work is involved over installing a non turbo ?

Just dont want to do all that work and spend money to regret not going the extra mile (or kilometer)

Thanks for your thoughts - what would you do ?

Matt - brighton

kit
80-90 Mem No: 4170

Re: 1.cs Out - ..??... In

Post by kit »

You should have had a drive of mine to feel the difference, I am not sure the extra cost of the turbo would be out weighed by the increase in performance?
1y Tin top rust collector.

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Post by colinthefox »

If you replace your CS with a 1Y fitted with a 1Y injection pump, you should get about 29percent more torque, (64BHP at 4400RPM as opposed to 54BHP at 4800RPM)and you can drive it more or less like the old CS. You won't get any more top speed, as the existing gearbox is very low geared. In most situations, the engine will be revving lower because you'll be in a higher gear, but on the motorway the engine will be revving just as hard as before. It will be a much more pleasant vehicle to drive, and should use a smidge less fuel. In your research, you will probably have found out that most of the old CS parts will be used in the conversion. You could change the gearbox or slip in a longer 4th gear to make use of the extra torque and produce some more top speed.

If you use your old injection pump, it won't inject any more fuel into the new engine, so won't produce any more power at all. You will then have to tweak the pump to inject more fuel.

If you go for a 1.9 turbo, (75BHP at 4200RPM) you will need to find a turbo sump (or modify your existing). The air inlet system is different, so you will need bits of inlet tract, air filter housing, inlet manifold, turbo, oil cooler, injection pump. The injection pump will need modifying to get it to fit beneath the engine cover. You will need to change the gearbox too, as the useable torque with the turbo occurs at lower revs. With the longer geared gearbox, you will reduce acceleration, but get greater top speed, and if properly tuned, should use a bit less fuel. Some of these engines suffered from crank nose failure, but others can tell you more about that.

Sooooo.......it depends on what you want, how much you want to spend, and how much work you are prepared to put in. My conversion, doing it myself cost less than £400. (But I am tempted by a longer 4th gear) You will be back out on the road that much quicker with a non-turbo, and the whole setup is much simpler. We have been delighted with my non-turbo 1.9 conversion. It is now a real hill climber, and I would recommend it to anyone, but if it's top speed you want, then it has to be turbo with new gearbox. Oh, and my van costs no more to insure than it did before.
Someone will be along in a minute and recommend the turbo route.
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

why did you have to post this colin, you realy shoulkd have left it alone ,, :evil: Ive got a nice 1Y sat in the shed out of a van and i had all but forgotten it , so now the subject of sticking it in my van has been rekindled. thanks :rofl :rofl
mm

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Post by colinthefox »

Right MM, I've spent my whole life with someone or other tellin' me I'm doin' it wrong, should have done it different, or shouldn't have done it at all, and I've learnt to ignore them all, and suit myself, so don't you start. :roll:
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.

kit
80-90 Mem No: 4170

Post by kit »

Everything Colin said really, I still think the extra work for the Turbo is unnecessary as the benefit from the 1y is enough, but that is only my view.
1y Tin top rust collector.

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

:rofl :rofl , might just fit it for badness.....
mm

matt brighton

Post by matt brighton »

Dear All

Thanks so much for the replys and I am pleased that overall confirms what I had hoped - keep it simple.

Yrs ago I had a bad experience with Renault (ironically numbered) 25 V6 Turbo. Same engine as the mid engined renauly 2 door sports car.

It went like whatsit off a shovel but tbh was a nightmare.

I like my engines " the simpler the better " (like my women ) and will search for a standard 1y

Thanks for sharing your experience - I will update you on progress as and when it happens

Regards - have a great long weekend

I'm off to the horsham pub meet tomorrow and to cruise the aisles at next door at camping world also

chat to like minded nerds like me about engine swaps and ask about slipping in a longer 4 th gear - whats involved and cost ????

Regards

matt - brighton

ps hope the missus wont read this !!!!!
Last edited by matt brighton on 07 Apr 2012, 05:32, edited 1 time in total.

weldore
80-90 Mem No: 5833

Post by weldore »

It can be done for as little as the cost of a service if all goes well matt.all it is really is the same as your cs but with bigger pots.the difference is worth it but it don't transform it into a buckin' bronko .....its just better
The other year I followed an aaz up a steep hill and didn't drop back at all
the word 'pissing' is safe

Dave and gail.....1983 Pop Top 1.9n/a diesel (aka Ready Steady Eddie)

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

you as well, followed an aaz eh , im gonna have to do it,
matt i miss read the miles v klm, but rebuilding a derv takes a bit of knowldege and can cost a lot compared to sticking a decent 1Y in, as you know you can buy a golf 1y for cheap money run it to be happy then lump out and weigh in the rest :lol:
mm

weldore

Post by weldore »

i dont have the gear to do it in stainless mike but if you swapped yours for the 1y there will proberbly be quite a bit of interest in a downpipe from the 1y exhaust manifold to the standard backbox :wink:

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

a quick one so i wont hijack the thread but what interes on a 4 branch manifold to bolt straight on and connect to the back box.? :wink:
mm

weldore

Post by weldore »

if you build it..they will come :ok

cant see it being a problem with the gti conversions too :ok

matt brighton

Re: 1.cs Out - ..1Y from a Skoda In

Post by matt brighton »

Hi

"Captains log" on transplant of 1Y into my 1.6 CS engined Devon.

I am as of 3pm today the (ah - hem) proud owner of 1997 Skoda Felecia 1.9 GLXI.
presented for sale in startling metallic blue and has 3 months tax n test to run and done 105,000 miles

It boasts new tyres and alloy wheels - new battery and new glow plugs. Total cost £285 off e bay.

I collect it tomorroe afternoon from Croydon and Once its been seen started and running as long as the engine sounds ok and not smokey I will be parting with the cash and wafting back to brighton.

Engine out asap - tax disc back to DVLA for refund on unused tax - ad in the skoda owners club website for all parts available - see what else the alloys will fit and sell them on - and after that - call to local scrappy.

Wish me luck !!!

Matt

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

good work there, now keep a humour laden log of proceedings.
mm :ok