Wobbly swivel seat is MOT failure

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Re: Wobbly swivel seat is MOT failure

Post by silverbullet »

syncroand101 wrote: Great, will be over your way later in the week. We can take some pics of how to do it as well etc.
Promises, promises! :lol: Likely to see you this week?

syncroand101
80-90 Mem No: 500

Post by syncroand101 »

Yes!

Even drove the van out especially on Friday, then couldn't escape to get you before you left!

Have to drop something off in Basingstoke tomorrow AM, will come back via yours...

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Such a disappointment for a girl :lol: Try again same time tomorrow?

gti mad man
80-90 Mem No: 4918

Post by gti mad man »

hey guys sorry for the delay heres pics off my two parts no comments on "pooh" welding please it was jagged anyway lol

see no holes for these parts making me think there maybe more than one swivel type>?

Holdsworth villa 3 1987

Andy

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Ermm, one for the walking parts catalogues methinks - what are the numbers btw? Hope they're not hacked out T4 ones :shock:

gti mad man

Post by gti mad man »

nope def t25 runners fit and were even westy rusty brown colour
Holdsworth villa 3 1987

Andy

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

So why the long welds down each side mate? :?

gti mad man

Post by gti mad man »

soi can bolt it through the battery box i didnt wana weld inside my van and i wanted it removeable plus needed the extra heiggt so it didnt foul the carpet
Holdsworth villa 3 1987

Andy

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

All right! Jake dropped by this lunchtime and we 've done a photoshoot in the glorious sunshine, featuring your's truly's wizened mitts :?
New parts fit a treat. Now you too can get to feel what a new swivel base should feel like in action :D
Learned a thing or two along the way, like:
How they need to be adjusted with care - it's a fine line between the rattle and locked solid!
Grease attracts dirt and grit (surprise surprise) which wears the plastic bits out. Fit them dry.
Check the state of your seat runners too. Sorted the swivels out and it shows up the wear in them :shock:
Fitting photo tutorial by Jake tomorrow, if he's not snowed under with work :wink:

Nitmoi
80-90 Mem No: 2140

Post by Nitmoi »

I got an advisory several years ago which has never been repeated. The wobble was simply a bit of a swivel. There is a locking lever that allows you to swivel the seat and there is about 6 mm play total between extremes as the seat swivels to and fro in the play. It was nothing to do with nylon bearings at all.

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Ahhh...that's a whole other problem, to add to the worn runners as well as the swivel bearing.
That's why I have fixed seats :lol: they're lighter too :D

syncroand101
80-90 Mem No: 500

Post by syncroand101 »

Yep, got the new nylons in, nice tight rotation now. However I still have movement from worn seat runners, could probably do with tapping the edges down to tighten it up.

Some pics, although, if you need pics to do this one, you probably shouldn't be trying it :lol:

Remove your seat completely, leaving the seat base (and all its dirt) visible.

Unbolt the 4 x 13mm Nylocks

Lift the circular centre off, you need to twist it to get the release lever out from the hole. 4 of the nylon parts are on the seat base, pop them out with a screwdriver.

Lift the second base off revealing the 4, probably more worn, nylon bits (and more filth). Good opportunity to clean things up a bit as well.

These bits come out very easily, either lift with your fingers or a small screwdriver.

Old and New

Old and New

Old and New

Insert your new bits

Insert your new bits - maybe a little time in hot water, or a tap with the hammer to get these ones home. Making sure to put them in with the curvature the correct way.

Put it all back together, make sure that it gets bolted down squarely.

Find the correct tightness, between no movement and being able to swivel - seemed to be get to tight, then back off 1/4->1/2 a turn.

Very handy if you wanna replace missing parts, reduce seat movement (do check runner play). Ian will be selling them through his business if anybody needs a set. Nothing to do with me, I was just making sure they fit (they do!),

syncropatrick
80-90 Mem No: 5294

Post by syncropatrick »

A similar thread on TheSamba http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=399927. I've pointed them to here as a source to buy the bits.
Campervan Dehler Profi hightop Syncro 16” AGG

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

syncropatrick wrote:A similar thread on TheSamba http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=399927. I've pointed them to here as a source to buy the bits.
Many thanks my friend! You'll be wanting yours back with interest now :D pm for you

Footnote: The old shims that we removed from Jake's seat base had not only deformed due to old age, but had also become noticeably softer and slightly "rubbery" when compared to the NOS ones. I suppose that they slowly take up oil from the lube grease and degrade in time.

These will be selling at £40 + vat per seat set (that's 8 parts, 4 x 20a and 4 x 20b) post free to 80-90'ers in the UK or Western Europe. Please use contact details to order via the firm's website!

gti mad man

Post by gti mad man »

hi guys cheers for all the effort but can honestly say that there must be two types of swivels though mine are similar they are clearly diferent and of a design that doesnt use thoose bushes :oops: :(
Holdsworth villa 3 1987

Andy