Problem getting into gears 5 spd - Help identifying

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Middle29
80-90 Mem No: 14427

Problem getting into gears 5 spd - Help identifying

Post by Middle29 »

So van just came back few weeks ago from having manifold leak sorted.

I'm struggling to get into some gears 2nd & 4th mainly I think but maybe improves after warming up.

Seems like detent spring is sticking. Coming from first to 2nd there used to sometimes be a delay before you heard it click/release. After some test drives if I can't get it into 2nd, and it's in neutral I can push to left, a bit like when you wobble to check it's in neutral & hear spring pop then it goes into gear.

Clutch biting point seems lower but couldn't say for certain. Also if I can't get in gear I release clutch and depress again and it seems to find the gear.

Gearbox refurbed couple years ago by Paul at Vantopia and new clutch went in. And about 6 or 7 years ago I think the bellows and linkage bit under gear lever was replaced at Brickwerks. I've read in the wiki about 2nd gear problems when cold and it has been cold last couple of times I've taken it out

Any pointers much appreciated.
1990 Atlantic Westy Pop-Top... 1.9TD

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: Problem getting into gears 5 spd - Help identifying

Post by Aidan »

sounds like you need to go through the linkage, could be wear or broken guide, most likely the bottom of the gearstick, the plunger needs to move freely, if the boot has come off and water got in then plunger can stick. Boot at rear can ride up and get in the way at the cup and ball, whole bunch of potential minor issues can add up to less than perfect change in the 11+ feet between hand and gearbox

Middle29

Post by Middle29 »

Thanks Aidan. I seem to recall when Brickwerks looked at it they were out of stock of either the guides or the tips that go either side. If the guides are original that would make sense. Also there's been a lot of flooding so water ingress likely. I guess i need to take it apart and check boot at box end too. After reading and watching some videos my original description probably wasn't accurate about detent spring stuff.

Middle29

Post by Middle29 »

So after holiday, new job etc...

took van out again yesterday to charge batteries and had a quick look underneath today at the box end. One of the boots has perished, could this be enough to cause problems. I'm sure it won't help.

I'm guessing this is meant to ride over the metal below it and not sit inside it. Looks like it's split and bottom part fallen down (rubber ring at bottom).

Clutch defo feels more spongey with little resistance than before, but fluid level looks good / max. Coming right off clutch and back again aided gear changes. Will look at stick end but feeling a bit ill today.

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

If the clutch feels spongy then the hydraulic parts need attention, there isnt any mention in your posts of work being done to the slave or master cylinders .Try bleeding the system.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

Aidan
Trader

Post by Aidan »

rear linkage picture, the bit of boot at the bottom is the remains of the skirt from a previous boot and can be removed and discarded, the boot at the top (251 711 167 E) needs the skirt pulling over the cup and pulling down so the tube part is on the alloy cup and the ribs are above, this is what I meant by boot could have ridden up in my previous reply

Middle29

Post by Middle29 »

yes thanks Aidan, when you mentioned it, I remembered it looked odd when I glanced at it when up on the ramp when manifold etc was being worked on. I'll do that tomorrow and check.

Theres no fluid visible at master or slave. If it is a sealed system, for air to get in wouldn't that also mean fluid must have got out? It's sitting at max level. I haven't checked linkage under gearstick yet.

I pumped the clutch with my hand with engine off and it didn't stiffen, didn't feel completely soft but biting point was defo low when I drove it yesterday. I stalled it which was telling I guess.

Middle29

Post by Middle29 »

So I got the boot back on and I'd say that's fixed 85% of the problem. Before, I'd be nervous of driving in rush hour. Only struggling now with 1st & 2nd (rarely) and coming off clutch and on again seems to resolve it. I'll look into other stuff at some point but this is great. I'm surprised that boot could have that much of an impact as it is fairly soft. That said maybe warmer weather has had an effect on something... Thanks all.

Aidan
Trader

Post by Aidan »

without the boot being correctly fitted or if it has split that will allow crap to get into the cup and ball joint which can make a nice grinding paste with the lube. The ali cup tends to wear, especially when loosely coupled.
Worth taking it apart and servicing, cleaning cup and ball, checking for wear, cleaning out what is in the cup, adding a dadge of fresh grease (the original red polygrease for nylon ali tends to become hard, I use normal lithium grease instead) and when refitting ensure the cup is fully up so the cup and ball joint is effective, you wouldn't want your hip joint coming out of the socket, this is the same
Give the box an oil change too if it hasn't been done in last few years 20k miles, drain plug magnet is a guide to wear between oil changes, some debris like needle bearings, ball bearings, spring wire etc... indicate issues inside.

Middle29

Post by Middle29 »

Planning all the maintenance as suggested above but was driving earlier and as I pulled up it was stuck in first. Couldn't get out of gear. Turned engine off and it came out easily. Does this change anything i.e hint toward clutch not disengaging? or not really?

thanks

Aidan
Trader

Post by Aidan »

Could be a linkage issue still, could be a clutch issue, could be lots of things.
If you drop the gearbox oil and find lots of needle bearings on the drainplug magnet then the bearing under 1st gear has collapsed; if that's the case then you have big wear in the pinion bearing and pinion shaft is moving to and fro, could explain the iffy shifts 2nd and 4th.
Do the simple stuff first, linkage and clutch slave, but be prepared to change the oil if the problems persist.

Middle29

Post by Middle29 »

So to update this.. after getting the gaiter back on at box end of linkage it was mostly solved but I was still having to double clutch, that is when going from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd etc I had to clutch, go into neutral, come off clutch & back on to get into gear.

The gaiter came off again but after reseating and securing it, a new slave cylinder and fluid, gearbox oil change van is back to smooth gear changes. 

As an aside, the linkage under the gear stick looks in fine fettle but the rear probably needs a refurb at some point.

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

Must have been the hydraulic slave cylinder.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon