Temperature gauge

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Raido
80-90 Mem No: 0

Temperature gauge

Post by Raido »

Any ideas?
I have hard wired the dash as many of the instruments weren’t working (buzzer of doom, water temp gauge etc).
With the ignition on the water temp gauge needle moves from its parked position but running the engine until radiator is hot doesn’t cause the needle to climb any higher. Is this a sender problem?

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: Temperature gauge

Post by Aidan »

could be a sender, wiring or a module issue, there was a problem noted with a version of the board that plus onto the back of the gauge where the soldered wire pads were physically too close, use a meter to measure the resistance of the sender cold and hot and compare with the readings at the dash before the gauge

Raido

Post by Raido »

Thanks for the heads up, if by board you’re referring to VW rubber sheet holding the printed circuit board I’ve ditched that and hard wired with a kit bought from Slaughterhouse. I also replaced the relay on the fuse board. The gauge was completely dead before I had done the above changes.
unfortunately, I don’t have any kit to test with so trying to narrow down all the possibilities.

Once again many thanks for your input and if knowing the above work carried out you have any thoughts please let me know. I’m a total beginner to all this.

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

a multimeter can be had for very little money off Ebay (other online shops are available) and there are many youtube videos that will explain the basics of how to use it - for the purpose of vehicle electrics you basically 1. check continuity, ie that there is a connection from A to B and that there is little or no resistance, most meters have a continuity function and a beep or buzzer, and you 2. measure resistance where it's higher than continuity, and you 3. check to see if you have voltage, generally in the 10-14 Volt DC range
We have a 12v negative earth wiring set up on the vehicle, again there will be YT videos explaining all you need to understand about how that works, it is very simple and pretty safe to work on

the issue I was referring to was covered in this thread guage therad

if you use the search function and search for gauge (or gauge issue/problem etc...) you will find lots of threads about this subject

Raido

Post by Raido »

Thanks Aidan, will take a look as suggested.