Rust in engine area

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

aydinh
80-90 Mem No: 0

Rust in engine area

Post by aydinh »

Hey all!

I'm new to this forum so apologies if I'm posting this in the wrong location, feel free to correct/berate me. A little background first: I'm from the UK living in Austria, learning German but not so good yet. I hope you don't mind me posting here rather than in some Austrian forums. Me and my wife have been looking for a T3 Synchro for a while now, but we're not having much luck.  Just yesterday one popped up locally so we went to visit it and it appears to be in pretty great condition (in our novice view) apart from a few little things. I was hoping I could get a little bit of advice on what we are looking at and if it's worth the investment with maybe some super average costs for the necessary repairs. Of course the prices will be a little different here but we're just looking for ballpark figures.

The van is a 1.9 DG 57kW, former fire fighters van, owner selling because he's got a few vehicles and not using it. It's apparently been kept inside almost all of its life. It's being sold at a garage on behalf of the owner. It's registered as a historic vehicle and has a good year left on the MOT with no reported problems at the last check up. The bodywork and underside seems in really good condition, we just have a few concerns with the engine area. The mechanic also said that the starter motor needs replacing. We will hopefully test drive it in the next few days. Anyway, I will attach some pics. Would be great to get a few opinions from the experts here. Anything at all is appreciated! And lastly, we're super excited to become a part of the community!

Many thanks,
Aydin

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Last edited by aydinh on 11 Feb 2024, 14:06, edited 2 times in total.

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Re: Rust in engine area

Post by Mocki »

Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Post by davidoft1 »

The rust looks to be the exhaust heat shield and weather shields, they aren’t part of the structure and and removable ( screwed on) and replaceable

aydinh

Post by aydinh »

Thanks Mocki, I amended the post and attached instead of externally linking. Nice thanks a lot davidoft1 I guess that is good news for us. I will take a look for those parts and see what comes up! :)

Robsey
80-90 Mem No: 11137

Post by Robsey »

Agreed - mainly the tinwear.
You could remove, rust-treat, paint with high temperature paint and refit.

It also looks like the top coolant pipe is pretty corroded (pictures don't usually differentiate between mild surface rust or deep pitting,.
It is the pipe that goes between the water pump and the right cylinder head.

They are still readily available from the likes of Brickwerks, Heritage etc.

Again not an MOT issue, but worth changing if it is pitted, before it perforates and sprays out a fine mist of hot coolant.
1983 Tin Top with a poorly DF and 4 speed DT box.
1987 Electrics and a DJ engine.
Maybe one day I might get it finished

aydinh

Post by aydinh »

Thanks Robsey, then it's time to try haggle the price down  :)

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Post by slowcoach »

Mmmm I'm a sucker for the ex service vehicles from the one exterior pic, I'm all in
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

aydinh

Post by aydinh »

We just bought it today, it had a few repairs done and we also got the price down quite a bit. Super excited!