Chicken Switch Question

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

herman_t25
80-90 Mem No: 0

Chicken Switch Question

Post by herman_t25 »

Right Folks, I need a chicken switch. I know I know I shouldn't need one if its done properly but I'd like a back up. Reason being end of last year my van overheated and blew all its coolant out again! (3rd time in the year and half of owning).

I've changed the rad to a brand new one, its had two new stats. fan works, tested it with the paperclip technique and it always kicks in. and after the second melt down I fixed the leaks, re filled with coolant and bled as per a guide on here somewhere. worked a treat for 6 months. temp would sit just over half and never moved. Fan would kick in at traffic lights etc and was happy it was sorted!

Fast forward to November and it overheated again. same issue. Fan doesn't engage as the temp gets to hot resulting in the coolant being dumped all over the road! 

I have a suspicion that the wiring could be to blame. nothing on the front of the van works very well, headlights are hit and miss and same with indicators so will need change all the loom for that but I can't see any downside to having a switch that I can flick to boot the fan up when I feel like its creeping up. even as a temporary fix. 

does anyone have a wiring guide or quick how to on fitting one? I'm about to take the dash out to complete a few other jobs so would like to get this done the same time.

cheers 

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Re: Chicken Switch Question

Post by maxstu »

Courtesy of Itchyfeet... but for late wiring petrol vans only, l believe.
I followed this link fitting one to my 89 camper. Dead easy. Fitted mainly to combat the chaotic and slow traffic in the south east and we use The Blackwall Tunnel and Dartford Crossing regularly. Plus we tow a caravan.

viewtopic.php?t=160034
Last edited by maxstu on 23 Jan 2024, 10:20, edited 1 time in total.
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
1987 DG1.9 LPG Auto Autosleeper
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

herman_t25

Post by herman_t25 »

you beauty thank you

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Post by maxstu »

My pleasure.
Be sure to use a correctly rated rocker switch.

:ok
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
1987 DG1.9 LPG Auto Autosleeper
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

herman_t25

Post by herman_t25 »

Sorry to resurrect this! Should have spotted at the time mines an early van. I can see the white and red going to the rad but on the blue/red it runs to the relay and stops. Only one white red runs to the fuseboard?

Any diagrams for early models? Thanks