Weber 34 ICT twin carbs

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

totallyconfused

Weber 34 ICT twin carbs

Post by totallyconfused »

Hi,

As I understand it the Weber 34 ICT carbs do not need an over run to the petrol tank, unlike the original solex pict 34 carb on my van.

So you run a fuel line from the fuel pump to a regulator, set to 2 to 2.5 bar pressure, then a fuel line direct to the two carbs. Is this correct?

If it is, what do you do with the original over run pipe that goes to the tank? Do you block it off?

Might be a daft question...but if you don't ask, you don't know.

Many thanks.
1981 - Aircooled 1600 Fire Bus.

Not a camper, Not a pop top, Not Nato Green, its a German Firebus!

Dueller
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Weber 34 ICT twin carbs

Post by Dueller »

When I did mine I simply blocked it off, bolt and clamp method so the line was still there. I also taped off the extra wires and rerouted hoses to join together etc, all very neat and doable Never cut a wire or hose here.

Also make sure you fit brand new fuel line, mine didn't even last a season before splitting, if it wasn't such a hard start that day I wouldn't have lifted the lid to pour fuel down to start, and seen the split hose spraying fuel everywhere, 7 months old...bought new from Halfords

I didn't like the 34 icts and I've done loads on Aircooled vws so know them pretty well. I'd do the 34 ich as starting an issue and the ich has chokes to help but I never did get round to it

Also need an electric pump as fuel evaporation an issue too, was thinking to do a dash pot so fuel always there but went electric instead

I got them to run well in the end then swapped the motor to a Mondeo v6...see my other thread

Van drove better on the webers just a hard start most of the time
1989 Crewcab 1600TD JX - Gone to Romania
1989 Caravelle 1.9 AutoBox

totallyconfused

Many thanks Dueller,

I will just cap of the existing line.

I hear what you say about the fuel lines, I thought it was just me, the rubber lines don't seem to last at all. I have rigged up a metal line with just short lengths of rubber line to connect to the carbs. Only have to replace small bits rather than big lengths.

People also said put a fuel cut off solenoid in fuel line from tank.

Will get an electric pump then....have a regulator now so may just chuck that on too!!! So do you just make up a plate to seal off the old manual pump hole, or leave the old pump on?

Ich with choke sounds better, but already have second hand ICT'S .

Engine is out and tried to start it....have fuel and flames blowing out the top of the carbs. 🔥 😂

Needs a bit of tweaking I think.

Cheers.

totallyconfused

Hi,

I now have the engine running. Haven't tuned it yet as have carb leak.

It's leaking from the accelerator pump, and dripping from the arm that pushes the diaphragm. See picture. I have changed the diaphragm. Is there a nack to fitting these?

It also is leaking from gasket to manifold. Is it over filling, the carb? Float level wrong?

Many thanks.Image

callyspoy
80-90 Mem No: 10

Post by callyspoy »

Hey,
I fitted second hand ICT's to my 2.0 Aircooled at the start of the year.
I followed wayoutwesties set up (i appreciate not everyone likes it), but that actually worked right away. I appreciate the 1.6 is a different engine, but i think he has set ups for both. Think of it is as a good baseline.

I did fit a cut off valve and would probably recommend you do yourself, eurocarb actually recommend it, and i did suffer some syphoning on the Brosol Solex carbs prior to the ICT's, which is not nice to see.

Your issue does look like it could easily be a float height issue. Did you rebuild the carbs after purchasing?

totallyconfused

Hi,

Thanks for reply.

I have just taken off carbs, again. :D

I think it maybe the seals on the butterfly shaft. They seemed pretty sloppy. Put some new ones on and seems much tighter. Could it be fuel leaking along butterfly shaft and then running down along the the accelerator pump arm and dripping off the end? It's quite hard to see where fuel is coming from!!!!

Only done one carb as run out of time. Will also look at the float height.

New gaskets etc. ultrasound bath too....so should be good as new. In theory.

Many thanks.

totallyconfused

Hi, sorry forgot to say....set up as per wayoutwestie baseline for jets etc.

Off to the pub to celebrate getting the engine going......I must be the slowest rebuilder in history. :ok

totallyconfused

Hi,

I have fixed the carb leaks...new seals on butterfly arm that goes through carb, plus some hylomar on gaskets, and reset float height.

Now have some timings issues....put it as a new post.

Cheers for all your help.