T25 1.6TD trouble starting, and advice please

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

sparkiekitty
80-90 Mem No: 15385

T25 1.6TD trouble starting, and advice please

Post by sparkiekitty »

Hi,

I have a 1990 1.6 TD T25 (Holdsworth conversion). I've had her a year and it's my first diesel vehicle.

She's struggling to start and I wondered if anyone had any advice on where to begin in trying to diagnose the fault. I've worked on petrol engines a little in the past and I'd really like to be able to maintain my T25 without having to rush to the garage all the time.

The problem began on Monday and is intermittent, but frequent. She turns over fine, but just isn't trying to fire. I wait for the glow plugs light to go out again and then try again. This carries on for a few minutes. She then fires a few times, but won't get going. Then finally she starts and runs fine from then on. It doesn't happen every time, but is getting more often. I had this problem with my Saab recently and it turned out to need a replacement fuel pump.

I'd check the spark plugs, fuel filter etc if it was a petrol engine, but I'm not sure where to start with a diesel.

Any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Btw, before posting I did searched the forum, but couldn't find anything, so sorry if I've missed a thread on this somewhere.

Thank you

Winchweight
80-90 Mem No: 12697

Re: T25 1.6TD trouble starting, and advice please

Post by Winchweight »

Sounds like glow plugs. As well as the light theres a glow plug relay which energises the plugs and this could be playing up, or the plugs themselves.
We had a similar issue where the light came on and did its thing, the plugs were fine but the relay wasn't working correctly.
http://www.thelittleredbus.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

VW 2.1 WBX DJ Syncro Doka - SOLD
VW 1.9 TDi AHU Syncro Camper

dave friday
80-90 Mem No: 5533

Post by dave friday »

Have you got a test meter and know how to use it? Oh! And pull out the cold start lever!
I dont think, so I'm not[do I exist?]
1992 1600td [ jx ] syncro panel van[leisuredrive camper ]

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

dave friday wrote:Have you got a test meter and know how to use it? Oh! And pull out the cold start lever!
..and no it's not a choke. :D
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Middle29
80-90 Mem No: 14427

Post by Middle29 »

I've just had problems starting and replacing the fuel lines and using the correct clips etc fixed it but whilst having the jump leads hooked up to my dads car while it was running I would turn the ignition to 1st glow plug setting and my dads engine would change pitch - indicating to us the glow plugs were ok, well drawing a lot of power. There was also a big audible click from the black box that houses the relay. This helped us (maybe incorrectly??) assume that the glow plugs were working ok.

But with mine air was getting into the fuel lines. Whenever I parked pointing down enough air would gather at the highest point (fuel pump) and give starting problems. Turning it over lots would eventually force enough fuel through and it would start that was until it became more air than fuel and then wouldn't start at all. If your fuel lines are the clear type get someone to turn it over and look to see if there is air bubbles in them maybe.

There is also a rubber blanking cap on the first injector that perishes, check that. And maybe a stop fuel solenoid, with an electrical connection to the pump, that we cleaned up the connectors on.

Just been through this... As an aside I always revved when starting up but was told this isn't necessary.
1990 Atlantic Westy Pop-Top... 1.9TD

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

A mucky fuel filter (water in fuel) can also give problems.
I would change the glow plugs first, not much fun but worthwhile.
(I have owned and maintained turbo diesels in a previous life)

Ich fahre einen Bulli. Ich hilfe mir selbst...meistens!

sparkiekitty
80-90 Mem No: 15385

Post by sparkiekitty »

Brilliant! Thanks for all the advice. :ok

dave friday wrote:Have you got a test meter and know how to use it? Oh! And pull out the cold start lever!

I have a standard multimeter. I guess I need to check the spec of that and the glow plugs. Unless there's a special test meter for glow plugs? As I say, new to diesels. And didn't know about the cold start lever. Cool!

I'll get on with checking what you all suggested ... when it stops raining! I need a bigger garage :D

:ok

clone123
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by clone123 »

No any multi meter will do. I'm the same as you with diesel just starting to get to no my way around them but one of the thing I have leant is that a lot of problem with diesels not starting or taking a long time to start is to do with air getting in to the fuel lines not just that but that's where I would start because I had a van and all it was. Was the pipes that go between all the injectors was wet so was leaking £5.00 all fixed :ok
1985 RHD T25 hightop camper 1.9td 1Y engine
It's always easier with a friend

Zeb
80-90 Mem No: 7732

Post by Zeb »

Hi, before you go to any hassle check the glow plug relay fuse. Common point to fail as it is probably ancient. Open the black box and you should see a fuse wire strip intact. I don't think it is covered with anything else other than a mess of wires. Does it start to when hot?

Cheers Zeb

tony1256
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by tony1256 »

having trouble starting after an episode of overheating, could it still be fuel  line / injectors or am i looking at blown head gasket / lack of compression and how do i check

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Post by davidoft1 »

tony1256 wrote: 06 Feb 2024, 21:43 having trouble starting after an episode of overheating, could it still be fuel  line / injectors or am i looking at blown head gasket / lack of compression and how do i check

How hot did it get , how much coolant was lost