Carburettor Problems

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Theodicy
80-90 Mem No: 0

Carburettor Problems

Post by Theodicy »

Hi I am a new T3 owner. Am I in the right place? I believe I have a problem with my Carburettor as I stall A LOT at junctions.

My bus is my daily driver and it has to be on the road continuously. Could anyone give me some advice where I could either buy a new carburettor or somewhere I could take it, get the carburettor that I have serviced and reinstalled.

I did consider servicing it myself but I think its above my pay grade.

I am a F reg, 1.9 petrol, water cooled, twin sliding door model.

Many Thanks

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Re: Carburettor Problems

Post by Mocki »

First thing you need to do. Is check all the vacuum hoses in the engine bay , especially the two on the back of the carb that you cannot see .
Start with the sim-low stuff that costs nothing first before rushing out and spend £400 on a carb (if you can find one )

Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

jrt
80-90 Mem No: 10288

Re: Carburettor Problems

Post by jrt »

As mentioned try the simple things first. When mine stalled at junctions it was the inlet maniflod. Start it up, get someone to get round the back with a can of carb cleaner. Let your foot off the accelerator and as the engine dies/ falters get them to carefully spray a small blast around the inlet manifold and see if the revs pick up.
David.
the future is unwritten

DoubleOSeven
80-90 Mem No: 14520

Carburettor Problems

Post by DoubleOSeven »

If the choke flap is fully open when warm, you can then unscrew the jets and give them a clean. Once you’ve done the above checks first. Definitely air or fuel issue, not ignition so don’t mess with the dizzy coil or spark plugs. In my experience it’s 90% air/fuel not electrical. Coln Engineering will refurb your carb if you don’t fancy doing it yourself. Check James Akers video on carb though.

https://youtu.be/VKD6ci8o06w?si=qt4b1qAQ-uKOyix-

Search here too, I have seen this issue come up many times before on this forum.
1990 Volkswagen Transporter 2.1 Manual
2005 Porsche 911 3.6 Manual
2012 Volkswagen Polo 1.4 Automatic