New to the T25

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Jeff9750
80-90 Mem No: 0

New to the T25

Post by Jeff9750 »

Hello all, I just purchased a 1992 T25 Transporter and I need all the help I can get. I have checked all the fluids and they are good and I have put in a new battery and my Bus still will not run, it only crank. I'm new to this group.

Thank you 
Jeff :D

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: New to the T25

Post by Aidan »

Jeff
hi, welcome

We need to know which engine your van has

How did the van get to you, was it driven or delivered ?, i.e. was it running and now won't start or did you buy a dead van in the hope of getting it running

tell us as much as possible, put up pics, tell us where you are, so we can play the game with some chance of success

keynsham1
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by keynsham1 »

If it a 1.9DG like mine with an automatic choke, when it has been standing for a week or two it can take ages to start. I assume the fuel evaporates out of the carb and the little mechanical pump has its work cut out to refill it from the tank at the front! 

With the automatic choke, you are supposed to put your foot flat to the floor ONLY ONCE and then turn it over. If you press it again, even lightly, it drops the choke back to fast idle rather than the starting position, in which case I find jumping up and down on the throttle pedal continuously until it fires usually does the trick!!

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Post by TONYT25T25 »

I find with mine when cold starting using procedure mentioned by Keynsham, I have to tickle the accelerator if it fires but keeps conking, out until it settles down to a med rev. I dont have a rev counter but listen to it. After about five mins, i tap the accelerator again and the revs drop to a good idle. This is done whilst vehicle is stationary.
1984 Campervan 1.9DG Petrol WBX