Heavy Smoking after seal change

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

glennyboy2
80-90 Mem No: 1838

Heavy Smoking after seal change

Post by glennyboy2 »

1986 T3 fitted with a 1Y VW 1.9 non turbo engine.
After developing a leak, I have fitted a new head seal and reassembled the Bosch injection pump.
I did not remove the pump and used the old wind out the bolts method,remove the old knackered one, and fit the new one. The only things I removed to make it easier was the injector pipes,the solenoid, and one fuel outlet pipe, then put them back. It has not moved since.

After bleeding it through, no more leaks, but it’s now running rough and spewing smoke.

Any suggestions please?
glennyboy2

member 1838

Caroline,86 Leisuredrive Hitop, 1Y diesel

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Re: Heavy Smoking after seal change

Post by Stesaw »

From my limited diesel knowledge.. sounds like you need to adjust the pump timing/delivery amount. Never done it myself the correct way but to do it the correct way you need a dial gauge etc to measure pump lift.

The other way from being told by old timers is to loosen the pump bolts enough so you can turn it. Run the engine and turn the pump slowly ( making sure you keep away from anything that's spinning etc so you don't get monged) either towards or away from the head til it runs OK and stops smoking, then tighten the bolts.

Others with more brain juice might be able to assist you or tell you what I just said is nonsense. :lol:
Last edited by Stesaw on 08 Jan 2024, 16:06, edited 1 time in total.
1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0CH Westy project

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Re: Heavy Smoking after seal change

Post by davidoft1 »

how long have you had it running since putting it back together ?