Subaru Fuel Pump Recommendations

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

jamiegolf
80-90 Mem No: 17083

Re: Subaru Fuel Pump Recommendations

Post by jamiegolf »

I use a mahle kl9 filter (t3 efi filter) in the correct place for an efi t3, works with the Brickwerks’s fuel pipe kit too,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
T3 westfalia 2.2 Subaru powered
T3 Syncro caravelle gl 1.9 tdi
T3 Foster and day coachbuild 2.0 Subaru powered
Mk1 jetta 4motion tfsi

Www.jsgarageaberystwyth.co.uk

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

It does seem strange having the filter after the pump but that is how VW 2.1 injection models are set up from the factory, there are other models that have a filter before the pump. The way to identify your van has the correct fuel tank is to look at the metal outlet on the tank that feeds the pump, it should be the larger 12 mm outlet and the return on the other side of the tank will be a smaller pipe,  if thats the set up then it is the correct fuel injection tank.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

jamiegolf
80-90 Mem No: 17083

Post by jamiegolf »

The genuine tanks have a big round strainer inside the tank on the outlet and also a strainer inside the pump too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
T3 westfalia 2.2 Subaru powered
T3 Syncro caravelle gl 1.9 tdi
T3 Foster and day coachbuild 2.0 Subaru powered
Mk1 jetta 4motion tfsi

Www.jsgarageaberystwyth.co.uk

Nelpy
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Nelpy »

Ok thanks guys - I've never really looked that closely at the fuel tank yet so will have a check tomorrow - still just finding my way around this thing, one problem at a time. I've probably learnt more about the fuel system in the last couple of days than in the whole time I've had the van!

1983 T25 Westfalia
Subaru H6 3.0

totorro

Post by totorro »

I recently replaced the pump on mine and went with the recommended Bosch (0 580 464 070) for my EJ25 from this RJES page - https://rjes.com/subaru-conversion-fuel-system/ - which was a good read. It's notably quieter than the unbranded pump which it replaced, although I think it had been cavitating due to a blockage in the fuel line.

My (syncro) tank is missing the strainer inside and the fuel filter (also replaced along with the fuel lines) is after the pump.
1988 Syncro, Subaru EJ25

Nelpy

Post by Nelpy »

Cheers totorro - that seems to be the way to do it (still don’t get why there’s a filter after the pump though). I’ll set it up like this anyway.
1983 T25 Westfalia
Subaru H6 3.0

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

there's a strainer in the fuel tank to protect the pump, which is lubricated and cooled by the fuel, and then a finer filter after the pump that protects the injectors, the fuel is partly recirculated so once running the pickup in the tank is accessing a percentage of previously cleaned and warmed fuel; if you ever cut the filter open you'll find little in it, it's a simple effective system that means long life for the injectors and with most of it being external it's easy to maintain.
Back in the day Bosch made many, many versions of basically the same pump with different pressures and flow rates, each dialled into the specific manufacturer wiring, engine and fi system, now there are fewer versions available and a lot of the generic ones are not optimal for our set up. The VW one, BMW one, the Volvo one and the Lancia one and the Alfa one all looked the same externally but were all subtly different and only interchangeable up to a point. A lot of pumps being sold a suitable for our set up are in fact the wrong pump, check the info available on Bosch technical documents for best information, don't trust the sellers blindly.
That being said I'm running a £25 pump off Amazon at the moment, which is quiet and does the job well, but the genuine one will be going back on, but I was thankful Chris had the Amazon one in his van as a spare when mine was damaged on holiday in Ireland
Using a carb fuel tank means smaller outlet feed (on 2wd) to pump as well as lack of filter and is known to cause issues with pumps, on Syncro the lack of kidney bowl and in tank filter is an issue, but as tank is plastic less likely to have rust in it

Nelpy

Post by Nelpy »

Thanks Aidan - thats a great explanation of how/why it works - it all makes sense now. I'll probably pop a cheap pump on just now to get it running and then go over the whole thing to make sure everything is in the right order.
1983 T25 Westfalia
Subaru H6 3.0