Moving the slave cylinder mount aside?

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

4gearwonder
80-90 Mem No: 4604

Moving the slave cylinder mount aside?

Post by 4gearwonder »

Hi all, Any help always appreciated - thanks - as we're booked to go away this Friday and suspected starter motor problem (no start or cranking - lights dim when ignition is turned so it seems volts are going to it, but need to take off and check solenoid/starter/replace?) 

Engine is 1.9 Diesel AAZ on an 1984 Bilbo 

Main problem is : Have undone the x2 bolts on the starter but the clutch slave cylinder mount is stopping the withdraw of the starter motor. Have been on WIKI and someone said 'move the cylinder mount a bit with a chisel?'. Is that possible /what people do? as it only needs to move about 20mm to the left. Or do you have to undo the cir clip on the arm - as per photo attached here - and then try to slide the 'cylinder mount' that needed 20 mm or so sideways. 

If anyone knows which is the best / correct way to move this aside please, be really appreciated as don't want make more problems than needed of course and times getting a bit short too to fix this now too.

Thanks a lot.

Brian
ImageImage

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Re: Moving the slave cylinder mount aside?

Post by davidoft1 »

Rotate the starter motor to clear the bracket

4gearwonder

Post by 4gearwonder »

Blimey, oh yeah! Thanks David, great tip and much appreciated amigo.
:ok

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

don't bend the slave bracket, rotate the starter to remove, as David says
I see so many bent ones and few broken ones and worse still broken bosses on the gearbox as a result. Because of corrosion between the alloy case and steel bracket the slave bracket may be unmoveable
If wiki says move it out of the way it needs changing to say rotate starter

4gearwonder

Post by 4gearwonder »

Thanks for your words of wisdom and knowing there also Aidan, much appreciated too. 

Philwilgil
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Philwilgil »

Hi, I have just replaced my JX TD starter motor, and was surprised to find how easy it was in the end.
(Bear in mind I decided to do it from above, not grovelling around below, and I moved a couple of pipes and wires out of the way, being held with cable ties).
However, removing the two starter motor bolts was, shall we say, a bugger, for reasons of getting a spanner on the bolt head, and because they were soooo tight!
In the end I managed to get a closed spanner on the left (near side) one, and a short socket with a folding handle, but both required the use of a 2 foot long piece of scaffolding pole to move them!
The bracket on the left holding the clutch slave cylinder had to be levered forwards using said scaffolding pole, to allow the starter to slide away and out towards me. 
Fitting the new starter was a doddle compared to removing the old, and woohoo she started brilliantly.