Replacing injector pipes on JX

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

julieewendubbus
80-90 Mem No: 15283

Replacing injector pipes on JX

Post by julieewendubbus »

Hi everyone
One of my injector pipes has sheared, resulting in a lot of smelly diesel being sprayed out in my engine bay. Looks like the bracket that stabilises the pipe set has disappeared, so I guess the engine vibration has done the damage to the now broken pipe.
I’m on a road trip in France, on route to Italy. I have a new set of injector pipes arriving tomorrow. I have the tools to replace the full set of injector pipes, and it looks like a pretty straightforward job….. however, any advice would be very gratefully received.
One big question I have is : do I need to bleed the air out of the new injector pipes when I fit them, and how do I do this?
Many thanks
Ewen and Jools

Mark S
80-90 Mem No: 1230

Re: Replacing injector pipes on JX

Post by Mark S »

Hi there, the last time I replaced my pipes it was with the engine out and I had expert help but it looked quite straightforward.  I have replaced my glowplugs in-situ without much drama and luckily that area of the engine is quite accessible.  I would say the most important thing is not to over-torque the nuts as they are made of relatively soft metal.  The system should bleed itself but it may take a bit of extra cranking.  It may be worth seeing if you can get it on a hook-up to get the battery up to max charge and also restore it if it runs flat.  Best of luck!
1987 Westy Joker

Bryce
80-90 Mem No: 17419

Post by Bryce »

Done mine recently, yes you will need to loosen them above injectors and turn it over until you see diesel then nip them up.
I found they didn't quite fit as well as I would like and was a bit of fiddle to get them on. Mark the ones you take off so you know which is which and what end where. Make sure you have both clamps fitted or you will end up replacing them before long!
1987 1.6td hightop

julieewendubbus

Thanks for the advice folks, much appreciated 👍🏼

julieewendubbus

Mission accomplished!Image

mioba
80-90 Mem No: 7850

Post by mioba »

Well done OP.
Westfalia Hightop Top Joker 1.6TD - aka Daisy, my labour of love

Paul7502
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Paul7502 »

I had similar prob which turned out to be the bolt holding the injector pump was loose causing vibration.