Local Guru Needed

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Rubbersoul71
80-90 Mem No: 17606

Local Guru Needed

Post by Rubbersoul71 »

I'm new to T25s and my first bus, an 89 1.6td has clearly had the cowboys in.

Can anyone local to Sheffield spare a few hours on a Saturday or Sunday morning to look over the bus and give me some advice and pointers please?

I'm in the dark here and could do with some guidance!

There's mild electrical issues, probably easy fixes, possibly need a few new switches and replacement odd and sods to sort out. I don't want to immediately go to the nuclear option when a simple fix will do!

More urgently, glowplug light doesn't illuminate.
Seeing as I've never had a diesel, I have zero idea of this means the glow plugs aren't working OR if it's just a bulb.

Let's not mention the obvious bodywork eh?

Suffice to say, it's my first rodeo. I'm very sure I shall be learning a LOT with the bus 😁

Tea and biscuits provided and your fuel if you're travelling.

PM me if you can help.

Cheers,

Jim
Rust Never Sleeps...1989 VW Autohomes 1.6td

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Re: Local Guru Needed

Post by Mocki »

I dont “do” diesels , but there are a couple of simple things you can do to check the glowplug issue

Firstly check the fuseable link on the base of the glowplug relay is intact ( The glowplug relay is in the black plastic box in the engine bay and the fuseable link is on the base of the relay holder .

If the fuseable link is intact , and you have a voltmeter , or multimeter , you will see the battery voltage drop when you turn the ignition on and then rise agin after 15 to 20 seconds if the glow plugs are working .

Sorry for poor quality picture its all i had
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper