Replacement pilot fuel/air jet

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Jimmucks
80-90 Mem No: 15261

Replacement pilot fuel/air jet

Post by Jimmucks »

Hi, can anyone tell me if it is possible to buy just a pilot jet for a pier burg carb. I'm not too hot on these yet and I'm struggling to find a supplier.
Thanks in advance
Jim

1.9 dg petrol (I think!)

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Re: Replacement pilot fuel/air jet

Post by CJH »

You could try Gower and Lee (Pierburg 2E3 parts here). The idle jet is item 6, the main jets are items 18 and 19.

There are a few suppliers on ebay too, but none of the photos I could see looks exactly like the Pierburg 2E3 idle jet. You could try this seller - he seems to have a lot of jets. The one you need is size 45. It has a short (~4mm) threaded section (M6) and an overall length of 37mm.

He also seems to have the main jets - for the record you need size 102.5 for the primary venturi and size 110 for the secondary.
"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

Useful info - thanks.

Jimmucks

Post by Jimmucks »

Thanks for reply CJH, I was beginning to think my post wasn't visible. I'll look into your suggestions. Is it beyond the realms of possibility that someone on here might have an old carb/part carb that may have the bits I need? I'd be very happy to pay.

Thanks again for reply

CJH

Post by CJH »

Jimmucks wrote:Is it beyond the realms of possibility that someone on here might have an old carb/part carb that may have the bits I need? I'd be very happy to pay.

Certainly not impossible. What bits do you need? I'd have thought it's unusual to need new jets though - are they definitely faulty, or are you perhaps trying to solve a problem, such as a poor idle?

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

Plenty of pierburg spares here
But jets never need replacing as CJ suggests.
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Jimmucks

Post by Jimmucks »

Hi cjh & kev
Quick post befor work. Thanks for replies. The mechanic working on the van has said it looks like someone has been in the carb and has made a mess of trying to remove jets. He's presuming they were trying to clean it. Apparently the head of on of the jets is fairly chewed up and is so burred that he can't get it out. Once I get a hold of a replacement jet he intends to drill a slightly bigger hole in the he has a tool with a LH thread which he will use to remove existing jet with. Can't remember name of tool..

No idle problem cjh, would tick over all day long. Problem begins I think when choke fully closes so offer 10 or fifteen mins then it becomes very lumpy and needs lots of revs or changing done and accelerating. I think the increase in revs etc bumps thee carb onto using the next jet and then is fine. Actually thinking that through I may be thinking about the wrong jet. I'll ask him to tell me what one of the four it is is i e 1 2 or 3.

Once I find out which one is chewed would it be possible to swap one for some beer tokens kev?

Did look for 8090 flag at Shrewsbury on the weekend to pick some brains but no joy.
Thanks for your interest both

Jim

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

After 6-8 mins the choke will be fully open ( off)
Stalling when the choke is off is due to a weak mixture, weak spark, or air leak into the inlet side of things.
Before you have this bloke drilling and such I would suggest a few simple checks.
Which you can do yourself

If the bloke is still convinced it's jets then I can send you the complete half that contains them.

There are two venturi, the second being vacuum operated.
Last edited by kevtherev on 16 Jun 2016, 18:10, edited 1 time in total.
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

CJH

Post by CJH »

The jets are quite soft, so it's easy to mash the screwdriver slot if they're screwed in tight. I've learned the hard way that it's best to break out the impact driver straight away, *before* mashing the slot - it gets them out clean first time every time. But of course a mashed up screwdriver slot won't affect the performance - all that matters is that the jet tube is clear - a strand of wire and some compressed air should be all that you need to clear the jet. There are some pathways in the carb casting that are impossible to access with a wire, but they might get a better blast of compressed air if you do remove the jets.

I've found various manuals and guides for these carbs in my searches - I collected them into one post here. I've found one in particular, Pierburg 2E3 Functions, is particularly helpful in figuring out how everything works. There are in fact two main jets - the stage 1 and stage 2 jets. If you're having particular problems on part throttle it does seem to suggest a fault in the Stage 1 side. An air leak is a strong possibility as Kev points out (theory being that the air leak has less effect when the engine is pumping more air at higher revs), but I guess a weak mixture could also be caused by some kind of blockage or fault with the stage 1 jet.

I wonder if it could also be something to do with the enrichment valve (in the bottom of the pictures in the 'Pierburg 2E3 Functions' document). I'm guessing really, but since the valve is based on a rubber diaphragm that can be changed as part of a refurb kit I suppose it's possible that's not working as it should. Have you tried a refurb kit? The Brickwerks kit is good value and good quality.

Jimmucks

Post by Jimmucks »

Thanks cjh and kev. Still trying to fix problem but work has gone a bit haywire at mo, too many late nights! Have pm'd you kev

Thanks
Jim

Bugsted
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Bugsted »

I know this post was a looong time ago... but can someone tell what measurements jets i have? I dont really know well

My car is a 1.6 jetta mk2 engine code EZ. Yep, i know my car have the pierburg 2e2, but i buy by error a 2e3 and I am intalling it anyways, so triying to switch carbs i need the correct jets for my motor