Upper controle arm or wishbone pivot spindle removal

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Auto
80-90 Mem No: 0

Upper controle arm or wishbone pivot spindle removal

Post by Auto »

Hi folks
I'm trying to get the upper controle arm off and I have got the big nut off the long pivot spindle but it won't come out
I've tried knocking it out and it won't budge any ideas why it's stuck or how to remove it ? 
cheers Phil   :ok

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Re: Upper controle arm or wishbone pivot spindle removal

Post by davidoft1 »

It’s a flat sided bolt into 2 washers , the washers and bolt can get stuck , if you pull the nut off use a big Allen key to rotate the bolt umtil
it frees off 

Auto

Post by Auto »

Hi yes I don't have an allen key big enough but I have found a nut type thing that fits in which I can then get a spanner on but it doesn't move very much even when I hit it with a hammer on the end of the spanner just a small amount I have sprayed tons of wd40 on it and the wishbone 
is totally lose but it still wont come out, I thought heating it up might help ? I don't know what to do any tips welcome, oh I had the bushes replaced at brickworks a few years ago so it's not like they have never been off before .
any help most  welcome  :ok

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Post by davidoft1 »

Auto wrote: 18 Oct 2023, 14:49 Hi yes I don't have an allen key big enough but I have found a nut type thing that fits in which I can then get a spanner on but it doesn't move very much even when I hit it with a hammer on the end of the spanner just a small amount I have sprayed tons of wd40 on it and the wishbone 
is totally lose but it still wont come out, I thought heating it up might help ? I don't know what to do any tips welcome, oh I had the bushes replaced at brickworks a few years ago so it's not like they have never been off before .
any help most  welcome  :ok

It’s possibly the washer’s have worn into the bolt trapping it, are the washers spinning too?

Auto

Post by Auto »

Hi davidoft1 ,
I heated it up around the eccentric washers and it still wouldn't knock out so I sprayed them with wd40 again
and worked the Allen key end up an down very slightly then all of a sudden it moved much more and it was lose !
and it slid out easily, the bolt looks ok and I have some new washers to put back I'm fitting the type 3 technique 
adjustable upper wishbone to correct the camber on my lifted bus
thanks for the advice I've just got to do the other side now ha ha ha

:ok

mioba
80-90 Mem No: 7850

Post by mioba »

I was going to suggest an angle grinder..... But I see you got there
Westfalia Hightop Top Joker 1.6TD - aka Daisy, my labour of love