CV boot replacement

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Re: CV boot replacement

Post by CovKid »

As I mentioned earlier, you can get GKN/Lobro bearings at very reasonable cost but I won't buy them mail order as they cost a lot more that way. I've certainly bought them around the sub-£30 mark each. Check Euro Car Parts as they're usually the best on price - more so if you pick a percentage-off weekend and it stacks up if you're forced to buy four. Only you can tell how worn they are and make a judgement from that. Since I've had present Caravelle (ten years) I've cleaned, repacked them, fitted new boots and ultimately replaced them. You can get some idea of their condition by feel (and close inspection) but truly knackered ones cause a slight delay/clunk on pullaway - its noticeable. If they're like that, do the lot but shop around.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

boatbuilder
80-90 Mem No: 8265

Post by boatbuilder »

I dot punched alignment marks on mine before I took them apart so I'd know how to put them together again!
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25 tintop

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

A pro. I never take mine apart. They just get thoroughly cleaned in parrafin in a tray, whole. I make sure they're free of grit and muck then I repack them. After years of dealing with those things you soon realise that once everything has been take apart and put back together randomly, they wear out very quickly indeed. Waste of time and effort. Keep them together and theres at least some hope.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

bmouthboyo
80-90 Mem No: 9396

Post by bmouthboyo »

Looking to replace my OSR CV joint as it is leaking and making a clunking noise once per rotation under load.

I am in Wales hiking currently but ordered the parts from when I am home. Just wondering if this is a hub nut off job of it there is play to drop the driveshaft from gearbox enough to get new one on ?

Thanks
1983 Autosleeper Trooper - 1.8 Gti Conversion

Robsey
80-90 Mem No: 11137

Post by Robsey »

The shafts can be removed with the wheels and gearbox in-situ.

Just six bolts on the flange to release from the hub.

Then release the circlip from the end of the shaft, to allow the joint to slide off the shaft.
Although it may need abit of persuasion.

In which case, unbolt it from the gearbox flange too.
Ideally dangling the shaft through the jaws of a bench vice and tap the end of the shaft through the joint.
1983 Tin Top with a poorly DF and 4 speed DT box.
1987 Electrics and a DJ engine.
Maybe one day I might get it finished