Starting Issue

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

newkid
80-90 Mem No: 13142

Starting Issue

Post by newkid »

Hi.

Hoping someone can help. Mum's van has for the 11 years of ownership had a starting issue that i finallywant to resolve.

It's a 1984 1.6cs. Everything has been replaced from engine to starter, wiring at back etc. Most of the time you hear a click but no turning of the engine. I believe there's a fault with the signal wire as when we first got it an alarm was wired in but the fob was lost so I had to remove it while rejoining wires.

Basically I'm looking to replace the signal wire (I've already attached to starter) but wondering where in the cabin I attach? Is it at fusebox, a relay or ignition switch wiring?

Many thanks.

Rosie n' Jim
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Starting Issue

Post by Rosie n' Jim »

It goes straight to the ignitin switch. But if the starter clicks it would suggest a sigal is getting there. Not sure if a low voltage would not fully close the contacts. A quick test would be to touch your new wire to a battery +ve. If the engine turns every time the fault is confirmed. Make sure the ignition key is out and gears in neutral. You don't want the van taking a trip on its own!
1982 Holdsworth poptop. 2L CU Aircooled.
1982 Danbury tintop Caravelle. 2L CU Aircooled.

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Post by RogerT »

Have you checked the trigger wire for corrosion? Always a favourite, although I note you have said all the wiring has been done.
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

newkid

Post by newkid »

Rosie n' Jim wrote: 10 Oct 2023, 08:23 It goes straight to the ignitin switch. But if the starter clicks it would suggest a sigal is getting there. Not sure if a low voltage would not fully close the contacts. A quick test would be to touch your new wire to a battery +ve. If the engine turns every time the fault is confirmed. Make sure the ignition key is out and gears in neutral. You don't want the van taking a trip on its own!

The click comes more from the front. Sounds like a relay but obviously can't be that if it's a direct wire.

Is the wire the same colour at the ignition switch?

newkid

Post by newkid »

RogerT wrote: 10 Oct 2023, 10:24 Have you checked the trigger wire for corrosion? Always a favourite, although I note you have said all the wiring has been done.

This wire was cut back as the connector and so much of the cable was green corroded. Wires that have been replaced was the earth from battery to block and the main live to starter, new starter also fitted at same time as rebuilt engine but problem exists still.

RogerT

Post by RogerT »

Have you the means to measure the voltage when trying to start it?

I don’t remember if I measured my voltage when I had a similar issue, but I ended up replacing both the main feed to the fuse board from the engine bay “black box” junction box, and the trigger wire from (I think) ignition switch to solenoid. My trigger wire, I couldn’t find any bright shiny copper within the whole length in the engine bay, it went from crusty green for the first foot to black for the rest of it that I could get to in the engine bay.

With diesels, we have to get volts the full length of the van and back again when trying to start. With barely adequate wire even when new. I replaced with heavier cable that I had handy. A side effect was much better lights due to higher voltage at the board!

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

No mention of gearbox to chassis being renewed.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

RogerT

Post by RogerT »

newkid wrote: 10 Oct 2023, 20:17
The click comes more from the front. Sounds like a relay but obviously can't be that if it's a direct wire.

Is the wire the same colour at the ignition switch?

Your click that you’re hearing from the front could be the X contact relief relay (See page 83/6 of the wiring diagram available on the syncrosport website)

The feed to the fuse board is 10mm red from battery to engine bay junction box, the 6mm red to the P pin on the fuse board.

The cable from the ignition switch is 4mm red/black to B8 pin on the fuse board, then 6mm red/black from D24 pin on the fuse board direct to the solenoid.

Learn how to read those wiring diagrams and solving leccy puzzles gets easier.