R9 fuel hose inner lining blocking hose?

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

aec
80-90 Mem No: 5469

Post by aec »

After 5 years off the road and a lot of very slow DIY repairs my van (1.9DG) passed it's MOT last week.  Hurrah!  My joy was short lived though, on the way back the engine died  on me a couple of times on a stretch of busy dual carriageway, not an experience I'd like to repeat!  :shock:
So I'm looking into potential causes, could be fuel, could be ignition.  I've done a lot work recently on both systems.

Decided to check the fuel filter cone in the carb inlet first.  Although I'd done a carb service a few months back and got the cone filter out and cleaned it, thought I'd check again to be sure.

First problem, I can't get the darn thing out.  Last time I'd used a woodscrew to tease it out, but this time no luck.  Also tried various picks, which seemed to move it a bit but it's not coming any further.  Is it possible to push it through from inside the float chamber?  I can't remember what it's like in there but don't want to take the top off the carb if I can avoid it.   For now I'm going to hope the filter is still clear...

Second problem, and potentially could be causing an issue, I noticed that the lining of the new R9 fuel hose I'd installed was pushed up inside the tube slightly. Peering down the hose, it looked like it was obstructed.   I had to cut back the hose about 3cm to get to the point where the inner lining was still bonded to the hose, the second photo shows the hose cut about 2cm from the end, the lining is a mess!

I then tried to get the newly cut tube refitted (with a smear of vaseline on the carb inlet).  Pushed just a little, nowhere near enough to actually get the hose to fit on the inlet, and had a look at the end of the hose, already the lining was coming away, and pushing itself back up into the hose

It's Codan 5.6mm internal diameter hose, very rigid and very difficult to get onto the carb inlet (I used boiling water last time)

Anyone else experience this with R9 hose?  Did I get a bad batch that's not bonded properly?

I'm wondering if 6.3mm might work better - but is this too large? Don't want to risk leaking fuel connections

1984 1.9DG wbx Autohomes rigid pop top

jrt
80-90 Mem No: 10288

Re: R9 fuel hose inner lining blocking hose?

Post by jrt »

I recently replaced my hoses and found that putting the 5.6mm on at a slight angle then twisting it slightly when pushing it on eliminates it pushing the inner up.
Not sure about the cone filter unless it’s been pushed in too far and the plastic is jammed.
I spent ages trying to get mine out only to realise I hadn’t put it back in previously. I Ordered a new one and then found the old one lying on the engine 6 months later.
David.
the future is unwritten

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

R9 isn't ethanol proof so thats your problem right there.

aec

Post by aec »

silverbullet wrote: 24 Sep 2023, 17:23 R9 isn't ethanol proof so thats your problem right there.
Maybe not 100% ethanol proof, but good for E5 and E10?  I've actually only had E5 in contact with this hose in the time its been installed.  What should we be using for modern petrol if not SAEJ30R9?

There's no sign of any breakdown of the outer hose or the inner viton lining, but the lining is detached from the outer hose.  I'd already been pushing it on at a slight angle but it didn't seem to make any difference.

I've been looking at the bit I cut off, pulling at the lining with a pair of needle nose pliers.  About half the circumference of the lining is totally detached, the other half is solidly bonding, I can't pull it away without tearing it.  I'm wondering if this is just a bad bit of hose that didn't get bonded properly.  

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

I use Gates Barricade R14 for my heaters to be safe.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

tobydog
80-90 Mem No: 6484

Post by tobydog »

aec wrote: 24 Sep 2023, 18:30
silverbullet wrote: 24 Sep 2023, 17:23 R9 isn't ethanol proof so thats your problem right there.
Maybe not 100% ethanol proof, but good for E5 and E10?  I've actually only had E5 in contact with this hose in the time its been installed.  What should we be using for modern petrol if not SAEJ30R9?
E5 or E10, its still got ethanol in it. So, there's still ethanol there....

The only way to be sure and safe is use 100% ethanol resistant hose.
Knowledge is power
1970 CU

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Post by clift_d »

aec wrote:What should we be using for modern petrol if not SAEJ30R9? 

Hoses to the SAE 30R9 and SAE 30R14 specifications have actually only been checked to work with fuel containing 5% (E5) ethanol, and we already have fuel in this UK with 10% (E10) ethanol content, and in other countries it can be 15% or more.

The good manufacturers make their fuel hose so that it exceeds the requirements of R9 or R14, so you should be looking at the stuff that Brickwerks sell, or products like Gates Barricade, both of which are rated for 100% (E100) ethanol content.

You should probably steer clear of generic R9 or R14 hose.
Last edited by clift_d on 24 Sep 2023, 21:22, edited 1 time in total.
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

aec

Post by aec »

Thanks for all the replies, very interesting.   After a bit more research, it looks like there are 3 main-brand contenders 

Cohline 2240 (R9) specified as "0-100% ethanol" safe  (what BW sells?)
Gates  4219BG (R14) specified as safe "for ethanol blends"
Codan 3133 (R9) - specified as "for ethanol" 

Codan 3133 is what I have, it should be OK but the liner doesn't look like it's well bonded (in the bit I have at least) so will try one of the others.

I wonder if R14, being lower pressure, is a bit more flexible and easier to fit than the higher pressure rated R9?

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

Cohline every time. I had some new EV14 injectors come supplied with Gates Barricade tails and it was awful looking stuff made in Mexico, wasn't even circular in section!

aec

Post by aec »

Quick update:

Got some Cohline 2240 - a huge difference. 

The Cohline 2240 has a smaller outside diameter compared to the Codan 3133 and the hose feels a lot more flexible.  The Cohline easilly pushes onto the carb inlet, and easily pulls off again, revealing no damage to the lining.  The Codan was a struggle to get on even after dipping in boiling water, and always seemed to result in the inner lining detaching and getting pushed up the hose.

Thanks all!  :ok