1988 Trident split charge relay location

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

stephenwalls
80-90 Mem No: 0

1988 Trident split charge relay location

Post by stephenwalls »

Hi,

I am now a very new and proud owner of a 1988 VW T25 Trident Hi Top autosleeper. The van didn't come with a leisure battery, although all the wiring was there to fit one. I have now connected a new Leisure battery and all the internal lights, water pump and fridge ignition circuits now work. The control panel is a pre-Zig type and doesn't charge the Leisure battery on the mains hook up. I understand that the Leisure battery is only charged once the engine is running, but checking the battery voltage with a multi meter and can see that this isn't happening. I have checked all the spade fuses connected to the positive terminal and they are all intact.

According to my research the fridge 12V supply is also managed by the split charge relay, so there definitely should be one fitted.

The only obvious location would be under the drivers seat where there are several relays attached to a panel, but I've no idea which one. Does any one have a layout drawing showing what they all are?

Any advice gratefully received!

Thanks

Steve

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Re: 1988 Trident split charge relay location

Post by maxstu »

The relay, if it exists, would be found close to either of the batteries. From starter battery, normally a red wires to a fuse is a sign of a relay (somewhere) linking to the leisure battery.....

https://autosleeper.vwt25camper.info/ht ... loads.html
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
1987 DG1.9 LPG Auto Autosleeper
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

There wont be a diagram that is accurate I doubt , but easy enough to trace , this is the basic diagram which suits both fridge and leisure battery , same set up for either
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

stephenwalls

Post by stephenwalls »

Thanks for your help!
On reflection, there aren't enough connections to the leisure battery positive, so it looks like it's not fitted with a separate relay. The fridge seems to be disconnected, there is twin core wire heading in the right direction, so I'm guessing its the fridge. The quest continues!

Thanks!

mickcorr
80-90 Mem No: 2984

Post by mickcorr »

Where are you Steve?

I too have recently bought a Trident (1.9DG); it's completely unmolested (as in, no-one has 'upgraded/bodged' or tinkered with it) so if you need a template to look at to see what's what with the internals you're more than welcome to look at mine.

Having said that, I doubt if you're up here in the Highlands...............!

Cheers,
Mick.
1989 LHD 1.9 DG WBX Multivan TinTop
1990 1.9 DG WBX Autosleeper Trident

stephenwalls

Post by stephenwalls »

Hi Mick,

That's a generous offer, but unfortunately I'm down in the midlands near to Leicester. I have found a relay behind the control panel (CP4) which I think is for the fridge. I now suspect that the slit charge relay for the leisure battery is elsewhere. If I can't find it, I'm just going to fit a Maypole TEC3M voltage sensitive relay which will just require running a wire from the from the relay to the leisure battery.

Thanks everyone for your help

Regards

Steve

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Post by maxstu »

stephenwalls wrote: 20 Sep 2023, 12:48 Hi Mick,

That's a generous offer, but unfortunately I'm down in the midlands near to Leicester. I have found a relay behind the control panel (CP4) which I think is for the fridge. I now suspect that the slit charge relay for the leisure battery is elsewhere. If I can't find it, I'm just going to fit a Maypole TEC3M voltage sensitive relay which will just require running a wire from the from the relay to the leisure battery.

Thanks everyone for your help

Regards

Steve

Yes. Best option. :ok
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
1987 DG1.9 LPG Auto Autosleeper
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

mickcorr
80-90 Mem No: 2984

Post by mickcorr »

No worries Steve,

Your plan sounds good.

Mick.
1989 LHD 1.9 DG WBX Multivan TinTop
1990 1.9 DG WBX Autosleeper Trident