Drive away awning required

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

AlBundy
80-90 Mem No: 17633

Drive away awning required

Post by AlBundy »

I already have a drive away awning, but it is faff to put up as its quite an old one, it worked well, but for one person to put up it takes quite a while. See picture.

I think what we need (family of 4 including a 4yr old and a 1yr old) is an awning that has a groundsheet built in, and is easy to put up by one person.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good awning that will attach to the van that meets these requirements? Van is a 1986 LHD Bilbo Conversion

I am open to selling the retro one which is very cool, but unfortunately not ideal for my situation.

ImageImageImage

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Re: Drive away awning required

Post by RogerT »

I’d recommend one from Khyam? Pricey but happy with ours. Very quick and easy to erect, dismantle. Our Main compartment does not have a floor, but bedrooms do. We have a Motordome, but I see they have other models including inflatable.
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

KateLovesPurple
80-90 Mem No: 17577

Post by KateLovesPurple »

I would also recommend a Khyam awning. It just so happens I have one going up for sale soon! A Kamper Compact awning like this one:
https://khyam.co.uk/products/kamper-com ... van-awning
Complete with inner tent, kador strip and figure 8 strips and internal LED light strip.

We've only used it a couple of times with our bay, but as we now have the Foster and Day, we no longer need it. So I will be selling it. I guess £180?

SurfT25
80-90 Mem No: 17059

Post by SurfT25 »

I have an air awning, (2nd hand) can't remember what make but have been very happy with it in all weather's.
I will be looking for a new one eventualy and would recommend getting one with a canopy on the slope.
Water just pours in when you are exiting in bad weather
( all sloping noncanopy exits will be like this).
Plus each exit to have a zip that seals them up completely.
My campervan exit has this but not my main exit
( opens up into sun canopy) or side door, they have loose bases and the awning just balloons in windy weather.
At the moment i use tent clips on bases of exits to keep them sealed. The wind breakers help but they are to keep our two springers in.
Hope this will be of help.
Peter
Prepare for the worst but hope for the best

1984 1.9 DG WBX Autohomes hightop

shepster
80-90 Mem No: 1342

Post by shepster »

SurfT25 wrote: 19 Sep 2023, 11:05 Image
Not far off my reg

I have an air awning, (2nd hand) can't remember what make but have been very happy with it in all weather's.
I will be looking for a new one eventualy and would recommend getting one with a canopy on the slope.
Water just pours in when you are exiting in bad weather
( all sloping noncanopy exits will be like this).
Plus each exit to have a zip that seals them up completely.
My campervan exit has this but not my main exit
( opens up into sun canopy) or side door, they have loose bases and the awning just balloons in windy weather.
At the moment i use tent clips on bases of exits to keep them sealed. The wind breakers help but they are to keep our two springers in.
Hope this will be of help.
Peter

2.1 DJ running on carb and LPG.

AlBundy
80-90 Mem No: 17633

Post by AlBundy »

Thank you all, this is really useful.

If I were to sell the retro awning, what should I be looking for with regards price? It has some discolouration on the roof, and a mouse has made some holes in one curtain, but it is solid, keeps the water out, and looks great (in my opinion).