Backfire/misfire sounds like its running on 3

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

makebigplans
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by makebigplans »

Hello all,

We looking for some pointers on how to get our van running smoothly again.

Recently our 1983 watercooled 1.9 Petrol van blew a spark plug out. Took it to the garage and had to have a new tap and insert put in - tbh I should have probably just done this myself... anyway

Seemed ok, and ran fine round the local town. We then took her for a camping trip about 100 miles away. Got stuck in Bank holiday traffic and had about half an hour there with first gear crawling. Engine seemed a little sluggish after that, with the occasional misfire and backfire. ( after about 50miles)

Thought some new HT leads might help so I started with passenger side front lead on the dizzy to the plug. without changing the rest (just to see if it was the right cable fitting - maybe a rookie error) anyway the van failed to start and sounded like it does just now.

Limped it to the garage and they just replaced that spark plug, with the original HT lead and it was running, I thought they had made sure it was good, but we then had a few problems.

We took it for another trip to shell island and after about 70 miles with a mild shudder from what i would assume a misfire, she cut out at some temp light, started again fine and got us there.

On the way home, she cut out on us twice after going over the steep hills of Snowdon. Then the third cut out in temp traffic lights, so pushed into the side of the road. Called recovery and after about an hour she started again, just about got it to Bala, then a loud backfire and cut out so we got a recovery home. Pickup guy said it sounds like its only firing on 3 when we tried to start up. Doesn't idle unless gas pedal is pressed a little. Taking foot off and she stalls.

Smells like it is burning rich, but that has been like that for a while, i know about the air screw to the pierberg carb now - although how much ? and is this really the problem?

What is next to look at do those with some experience have?

Thanks in advance,

Daisy x

let me know if you need better info - videos of me running etc.

--

*first time poster long time reader... thanks to a couple of 80-90 lovers who needed a spare fuel pump on shell island first week sept '23 suggested i use the forums a little more, hope that fixed your van. Also anyone near Wirral, looking for people who know how to troubleshoot these issues ;)
T25 1983 1.9 water-cooled petrol

DoubleOSeven
80-90 Mem No: 14520

Post by DoubleOSeven »

Backfire suggests it’s running rich.

£0, test the HT leads with a multimeter. Should be 600 ohms per foot. Test all 5. Clean the dizzy cap and rotor arm, that’s free to do too. Spark plugs should be a rusty brown colour. See Haynes manual for the pictures.

£5 + clips, is the fuel filter clean? - change it out and use 2 x 12mm fuel clips not jubilee clips.

https://brickwerks.co.uk/product/fuel-filter-petrol/

£22, Fuel pump, if it looks a bit of a state swap it out.

https://brickwerks.co.uk/product/fuel-p ... etrol-wbx/

£475-495, if still still no joy, send carb off to Bromyard for a refurb.

https://www.bromyardvw.co.uk/product/re ... se&q=false
1990 Volkswagen Transporter 2.1 Manual
2005 Porsche 911 3.6 Manual
2012 Volkswagen Polo 1.4 Automatic

jrt
80-90 Mem No: 10288

Re: Backfire/misfire sounds like its running on 3

Post by jrt »

Test for vacuum leaks …inlet manifold, carb base, choke pull down (suck on pipe)etc. with the van running and someone looking in the engine bay as it dies spray some carb cleaner or wd40 carefully around susceptible points and see if the revs pick up.
Have you tested the coil?
David.
the future is unwritten

makebigplans
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Backfire/misfire sounds like its running on 3

Post by makebigplans »

Thanks for the speedy replies.
Did the usual general checks ... HT leads are fine and put in 4 new sparks just for good measure. Old ones had fair bit of carbon on ends. New coil on too and tweaked the air inlet valve on the carb very slightly.
Then I found out why it didn't sound right. A big split in the exhaust by the engine, I noticed when I got under to change the fuel filter... It figures, no wonder it didn't sound right and was misfire/backfiring. I've patched it up for now, but looks like I'll need to replace asap. The exhaust pipes seem to get hot very quickly too.. *does some more googling on which exhaust pipes will fit the engine. Need to take it out for a bit of a drive to see how it handles with the gungum on.

T25 1983 1.9 water-cooled petrol

DoubleOSeven
80-90 Mem No: 14520

Post by DoubleOSeven »

Yup. That’ll be it. Treat yourself to one of these if you’re keeping it for a while, £595

https://vwspeedshop.com/product.php?pro ... 476&page=1

Brickwerks do the mild steel system for £486.74 or you can just buy the individual part.

https://brickwerks.co.uk/product/comple ... rol-to-85/
1990 Volkswagen Transporter 2.1 Manual
2005 Porsche 911 3.6 Manual
2012 Volkswagen Polo 1.4 Automatic