Sliding door rust questions

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

JonathanR
80-90 Mem No: 0

Sliding door rust questions

Post by JonathanR »

Hi peeps. Long time since I've posted, but only because we've been enjoying travelling in the van and all has been well.
Doing some minor tidying on those rusty bits and have 3 questions
1. The sliding door rubber. Bottom bit. How is it fitted and how do I remove it without damage. I don't particularly want expense of replacing the complete rubber.
2. The top frame that the door slides on. Looking down it has some sealant in the gap between the channel and van side. In that it has some mastic at either end I suspect water can sit there and increase risk of rusting. Should I fill with sikaflex?
3. Removed fibreglass insulation from front of rear wheel arch and found an inch or two of water. Should there be a drain hole that's rusted up or should I try to find the leak. Probably rear side window.
Many thanks
JonathanImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

1991 Auto Sleeper Trident High Top
Water Cooled 1.9 Petrol

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Re: Sliding door rust questions

Post by RogerT »

3. I don't think there is a drain hole, but there is an inspection hole with a bung at the forward most part of the rear wheel arch, just above the outer swing arm mount/jacking point. It may be covered with underseal/schutz, it may have been welded over, it may be a gaping rusty mess.

The aim is not to let water drain out, but to stop it getting in in the first place, so maybe your seals/window surrounds need attention? Fibreglass is notorious for holding vast quantities of water. It may just be from condensation rather than a leak.
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

The profile of the rubber locates into the profile of the metal channel.this lower chanel is notoriouse for rotting away. Worst case scenario is remove and weld a new channel on .but yours doesnt look that bad.oh and seal should just pull off/out gently may be glued in as well so take care.
The slider runner is spot welded to the van body and the short welds are to support the runner.if they are not done when you change the runner (say when you fit one of my repair ruuner panals) you runner will rock badly theses stiffen it.i like to run a good bead of purflex along it and water will run to the rear and away.
More info pickys needed
mm

JonathanR
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by JonathanR »

Thanks Roger and mm . Channel for rubber is good. Just wanted it out of way for painting. Door slide channel is also sound. Will paint and then seal. I imagine the over panel should prevent water ingress but plastic sealing strip is a bit brittle.
Will try to get a better picture of underneath but now off to help daughter with her Mercedes Sprinter van conversion.
1991 Auto Sleeper Trident High Top
Water Cooled 1.9 Petrol

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Post by davidoft1 »

There’s a drain hole in the rear arch , but also under the sill , it’s an oval rubber bung I think

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Post by Stesaw »

davidoft1 wrote: 25 Aug 2023, 15:38 There’s a drain hole in the rear arch , but also under the sill , it’s an oval rubber bung I think

If it hasnt been messed with it should be yeah...
One under the C pillar there abouts (oval) and then one above the trailing arm bracket. (round)
1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0CH Westy project