1980 Westphalia Joker Water System don't work

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

THE KESZTHELY KID
80-90 Mem No: 4

1980 Westphalia Joker Water System don't work

Post by THE KESZTHELY KID »

Afternoon All,

My recently acquired Lime Green1980 T25 Westy Joker, Beryl,  has had a few 'foibles' to deal with. The fridge now works fairly well and the twin burner hob can now be brewed and cooked upon  :P
However the water system don't work  :(  Turning the tap on only makes the battery level LED's on the  Left of the control panel go from Green to Yellow with not so much as a splutter  :cry:
The right hand set of LED's don't work at all, not giving any indication of the water level. The water tank is 2/3 full.
I have downloaded [url=file:///H:/March_1989_VW_T3_Camping_Equipment_Repair_ManualWM.pdf]March_1989_VW_T3_Camping_Equipment_Repair_ManualWM.pdf[/url] which does cover pre '83 Westies. 
I have also trawled the Vanagon Forum on samba.com for a few suggestions.
I will further test the wiring and the water pump, once I've removed it but do folks suggest that I ...

#1 - I go purchase one of these from GoWesty? Led monitor panel replacement kit – GoWesty

#2 - Once the wiring and water pump is checked out I read on Samba.com that rubbing the water level sensor probes with fine grade sand paper cured one Westy owners water dilemma.

#3 - Fit a new Leasure battery?   

All assistance, comments or criticisms welcome.

TIA
Rick H
1980 LHD T25 Westphalia Joker
1973 LHD Semi-auto Karmann Ghia Coupe.

2017 Renault Captur Automatic {Daily Driver}.

Air-Cooled T25's Need Love too  :ok

Porkscratching
80-90 Mem No: 17422

Re: 1980 Westphalia Joker Water System don't work

Post by Porkscratching »

Hello Rick, back to basics here. When you turn on the tap can you here the pump (which of course you should)? If you can hear it then the system needs priming which normally means putting ones mouth around the tap outlet and sucking as the pump is trying it's best.
Otherwise diagnose the electrics. Start at the pump end and work your way back through the micro switch at the tap. They're a pretty basic set up really. It could be as simple as a fuse.

Regards, Max.
1990 Westy HiTop 1.6 JX
Time is precious, waste it wisely folks.

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Re: 1980 Westphalia Joker Water System don't work

Post by silverbullet »

Hutch fixed his early Westy water recently. Tap and level gauge fully working.