Gear linkage mystery

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

philiphuw

Gear linkage mystery

Post by philiphuw »

Dear All. I promise I have looked through the archive, but without luck. I have a 1991 5-speed 1.9 DG with 168k miles on the clock. I recently had some gearbox work done, which included fitting a new spigot bearing. I also had a new linkage fitted. When I grease the linkage, the gear change is as smooth and slick as a bolt-action rifle. But after a couple of hundred miles, it’s like trying to stir quick-drying concrete. Slap on the grease again, and it’s a delight to change gear. What the blazes is going on?

Cheers to all

Philiphuw.

Herble
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Gear linkage mystery

Post by Herble »

I have the same problem. Gear linkage bushes replaced 3 years ago and  I have tried 3 different greases (including heavy duty and  Molygrease) but all dried out after a few months and the gear stick is then very difficult to move. The original VW grease lasted 15 years. Forums say any grease is OK or change every year but definitely not my experience. I have not tried Silicone grease +/- PTFE or marine grease. 
Has anyone had a long term success? 

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Re: Gear linkage mystery

Post by silverbullet »

Its the crappy repro bushes, don't know what they are made from but they seem to degrade very fast, definitely not oil or grease proof (they should be!)
Silicone grease should work and keep its properties for ages, its wont affect the rubber bushes.
I was going to look into making some properly engineered ones from a suitable polymer, perhaps ita time for a new quality product?