Pierburg carb - throttle stick

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Aaronrichie
80-90 Mem No: 17490

Pierburg carb - throttle stick

Post by Aaronrichie »

My throttle seems to periodically stick in the position just above the idle screw causing the van to sit at high revs when out of gear. For context, I’ve had the carb out and thoroughly cleaned so I think the problem lies between the throttle cable, the return spring or perhaps the throttle mechanism at the carb? I could really use some help with this issue as I am planning to travel in my van next week! It’s a later van with the 1.9l water cooled engine and pierburg carb.

Smiffo
80-90 Mem No: 15151

Re: Pierburg carb - throttle stick

Post by Smiffo »

I assume with high revs at idle, you can push it back into position in the engine bay to resolve?

If not, try that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'89 1.9 DG

“It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled.” ~ Mark Twain.

Aaronrichie

Post by Aaronrichie »

Cheers for the reply. Yea I’ve tried that, pushing the lever manually brings it to the correct idling speed but it’s only temporary… whenever the throttle is pressed again it sticks just above where it should be in contact with idle screw

Smiffo
80-90 Mem No: 15151

Post by Smiffo »

Assuming it isn't a tight throttle cable ( or frayed, ) there are two very good rebuild vids linked below.
I'm not suggesting a rebuild, but you could watch through and see the components and mechanisms for throttle control, and get an idea for what needs cleaning / adjusting.

Watch them with a brew. They are good!

'89 1.9 DG

“It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled.” ~ Mark Twain.

Aaronrichie

Post by Aaronrichie »

Thanks. I’ve actually watched those before when I partially* rebuilt the carb a few months ago, I was nervous to take every little component off, I just cleaned the essential bits. Probably worth revisiting and doing it properly. I actually have the carb off tonight and found that the throttle mechanism is snapping back to idle position ok when not connected to the cable so maybe it is just an issue with the cable.