coolant on top of water pump (1.6td jx)

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

pierce
80-90 Mem No: 9002

coolant on top of water pump (1.6td jx)

Post by pierce »

I am getting some coolant on top of my water pump, not a lot, maybe 1 litre in 5000 miles, but I would like to get it sorted.

The location of the coolant is confusing me, I can't see how it could get to the top. I have looked with the alternator in place and can't see any spray etc.

Before I take off the pump and check the surfaces are flat, I was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/zoruc967 ... 1ydrk&dl=0
​​​​​​​
88 Westie 1.6TD

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Re: coolant on top of water pump (1.6td jx)

Post by R0B »

.Image
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

pierce

Post by pierce »

I have took the water pump off and had a look, and got some massive deja vu.

It can only really be coming from the main connection to the block and rising up through the two bolts nearest the fuel pump (just off the pic).

I remember buying a slightly thicker o-ring from Brickwerks to fix the issue, but it didn't work.

I suppose I could either try and hone the block to get it flatter, or maybe just put a bit of that liquid gasket on there before I put the pump back.

Thought would be appreciated, getting the pump on and off isn't my favourite job, so would like to get it right first try.
88 Westie 1.6TD

pierce

Post by pierce »

I checked the block for level, its pretty near perfect, the only place I thought looked like coolant may have passed is behind the o-ring in the water pump.

Cleaned the block and pump with acetate, put a bit of liquid gasket behind a new o ring and a smearing on the block.

Put it all back together and still the same issue  :run

you can see it weeping up one of the bolts, it's so little, maybe a drop in 10 miles, so its not worth the hassle of taking it all apart again.

I am wondering if there is a tiny hole in the bottom of one of the bolt holes, there is no corrosion or anything, but I suppose coolant is designed to prevent that????

At a bit of a loss, I have tried at at least three times to fix it. I remember changing the water pump on my old engine and I didn't have any leaks, I know the bolts are not equally spaced around the opening, so maybe there is too much pressure from one side???
88 Westie 1.6TD