Erratic horn, now dead... HELP!

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Reggie1986
80-90 Mem No: 0

Erratic horn, now dead... HELP!

Post by Reggie1986 »

Hi,

I've had an issue with the horn, and on trying to disassemble and clean I've now somehow killed it. Any help welcome, bearing in mind that I know little to nothing about van electrics. Here's a run down of my issue..

– Previously would only sound poorly if you hit a sweet spot on the button
– Completely stopped working over winter
– Took front of button off to have a look, cleaned contacts, put back together, and then it seemed to sound without pushing the button at all, mostly when wiggling the wires (especially the black one) or turning the wheel
– Took front off (again) and managed to pull the black wire out of the connector  :?
– I could then get the horn to sound just by connecting the black wire to the connector, and touching the other end to the brown connector
– This happened erratically, then stopped completely. Now nothing.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Oh, and if anyone knows off the top of their head, what wrench do I need to take the steering wheel off? I assume I'm going to need to to re-crimp the black wire.

Cheers,

Jack, 1987 1.9 auto

https://imgur.com/a/bBoFbj5

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Re: Erratic horn, now dead... HELP!

Post by Mocki »

The steering wheel nut is 24mm
The horn ring needs tho connect to the spring loaded contact which conducts the signal down the loom . The switch switches the negative side of the horn, not the positive , which is direct from the fuse box .
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

Reggie1986

Post by Reggie1986 »

Thanks Steve. So is your guess that the problem with the circuit is in the horn ring? What's the best way to test it if I manage to open it up?

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

There is no opening it up really, its on the underside of the steering wheel , connected directly to the switch wire
Take the wheel off and turn it upside down , inspect it for brokenness and check the sprung brass coloured contact on the steering column it runs onto
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

Reggie1986

Post by Reggie1986 »

Thanks again, matey  👍. I'll get myself a 24mm wrench and see what I can find beneath!

Reggie1986

Post by Reggie1986 »

UPDATE: Horn fixed!

Turned out to be a dodgy connection between the horn ring, which had worn over time, and the metal connection on the indicator stalk. £50 for both parts on Brickwerks, clean up and a dab of dieletric grease, and werking just like new  👍...