Eroded bell-housing.

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Robsey
80-90 Mem No: 11137

Eroded bell-housing.

Post by Robsey »

Hi All,

I have been working on my 'in-laws' former van with windows.
It appears that the late father-in-law 'messed' with a lot of bits on the van during his tenure in the late 80s before the van was rested for 20 years.

Since his passing circa 2010, I have been charged with repairing the "blue skip" for my wife.
I dragged my backside on this until about 2020 due to lack of motivation and funds.

Attention has turned to the gearbox which has a lot of surface erosion from being stool outdoors for three decades.

The relevant info is -
1983 DT 4-Speed Gearbox - mated to a DF engine.

For the most part, it looks like a full gasket and seal set will be enough...

But, when removing the clutch release shaft last night, I noticed that the shaft moved to the left as the operating arm was pressed downwards, and moved back to the right when raised again.

Initially I thought the slave mount was angled, causing the arm to be pushed outward.

The left bush / sleeve has previously been replaced by a plastic steradent tube cut to length with the two ribbed-rubber seals inside sitting either side of a plastic bush.

Removing all this, and refitting the slave mount shows a lot of missing / eroded casting.

So - after that long waffle, what is the most cost effective solution?

1 - Fit the correct sleeves and seals as planned, hoping that the correct bush will hold the shaft satisfactorily.?

2 - Try some JB Weld Liquid Metal to build up where the casting has disappeared, and then clean, file, ream out the proper bore.?

Or

3 - Invest in a replacement bell housing.?

I don't really have the budget for a complete gearbox, and I am quite naively trying to retain as much of the original van as possible.

Your thoughts, suggestions, and advice will be gratefully received.

If it helps, the gears appear to select cleanly and easily enough, and there are no untoward noises or notchinesd from the differential or gears inside.
1983 Tin Top with a poorly DF and 4 speed DT box.
1987 Electrics and a DJ engine.
Maybe one day I might get it finished

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Re: Eroded bell-housing.

Post by silverbullet »

They all rot there, leaky clutch slave attracting water is part of the problem. A decent petrol bell shouldn't be hard to find or expensive.