Headlights stopped working on low beam

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Slaydog
80-90 Mem No: 0

Headlights stopped working on low beam

Post by Slaydog »

Hi - I lost my dash lights and low beam the other eve. Checked for blown fuses and considered checking the relay but couldn’t find it. Fuses were fine so I just imagined it was a worn switch in the stork.

On investigating further - I don’t seem to have 12v heading into the fuse. If I draw a 12v supply to the fuse they work.

I’m thinking it must be a relay issue or connection along the white wire somewhere. Does anyone know where the relay is or had this problem and can suggest further de-bugging to fix? Thx

Btw - had a lot of fun driving to north wales in the dark manually holding full beam while also steering and changing gear with my left :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1990 Holdsworth 1.9DG on 2e3 Manual 4 Speed

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Re: Headlights stopped working on low beam

Post by clift_d »

That sounds like an earth problem - the first thing to try is cleaning the dashboard earth crowns. If you unscrew the fuse panel and push it to one side you will see two of them on the A-pillar behind it - there shouldn't be any need to unplug anything from the fuse panel to get access. Disconnect all the earth leads from the earth crowns and clean everything up with a bit of fine sandpaper, and then reconnect everything again - make sure you don't miss any of the leads out.
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

Slaydog

Post by Slaydog »

Thanks! I actually cleaned those up not that long ago. Will take a look again. Any other thoughts as a next check if all ok? Cheers for the response

Robsey
80-90 Mem No: 11137

Post by Robsey »

Have you ruled out burnt contacts on the stalk switch?

That is the usual weakness, because there is no relay for the head-lamps.
Unless you have retro-fitted relays.

The contacts can get burnt as the switch carries the full current required by the lights.
1983 Tin Top with a poorly DF and 4 speed DT box.
1987 Electrics and a DJ engine.
Maybe one day I might get it finished

Slaydog

Post by Slaydog »

Thanks! Replacing that anyway as another part of the story is that I sawed the protruding end of the stalk off to stop the steering wheel hitting it while I had to hold my full beam on manually for 60 miles in the dark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk